• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need some quick help please

Barrel Char Wood Products

Canada_Eh

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2014
Hi Guys!

I just started a batch of mead, that consists of:

18l water
15lbs honey
10lbs fresh grapes

The gravity is 1.075 which should end up around 10% alc. Im a noobie and dont understand how its such low alcohol % considering i added 10lbs of fruit and 15lbs of honey.

I have another 3 lbs of honey do I add it to the must now if i want a dry mead with higher % alcohol ?

Im looking to make a dry mead with high alc % without being oversweet

Thanks

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Litres and pounds? In the same sentence? ;-)

Ok. So 6.8kg of honey + 18 litres.
This will make a total of 24.8kg
Given honey has an ave. density of 1.4 you get a total of 18+ 4.85 = 22.85
24.8/22.85 = 1.085
Multiply by the magic approximate number 135
0.085 drop (assuming dry)
0.085*135 = 11.5%

So it would seem you're right.
Your grapes will have a juice that is usually a little sweeter, so the value may be a tad higher.

For a first brew, high abv is not recommended.

For a first brew, Dry is not recommended.

Doing both in your first brew is a recipe for undrinkable mead.
If leave it the way it is. It will go dry.
It will taste good in a couple of years.

Canada_Eh

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2014
I would only add that honey afterward. We call it backsweetening. This will make your mead sweeter, but drinkable much faster.

'Sugar covers a multitude of sins'

Thank you for your response.

This isn't my first brew ive made 4-5 batches before: honey, blueberry, cranberry, blackberry & wildberry.

They were all around the same alc % 9-11% and i would like this batch to be higher 15-18% while avoiding the sweetness of a dessert wine.

I would really like to avoid backsweetening as im trying to make a dry wine.

My original question was - if I add more honey to the must, will the gravity will go up hence more alc % right ?

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Well yes. As long as your yeast can eat it all.
I'd use K1V1116. I'd also not have vitamised the grapes. Pressed or whole, but too late now.

Be kind to your yeast and feed it well, a and this should remain dry.

Canada_Eh

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2014
Well yes. As long as your yeast can eat it all.
I'd use K1V1116. I'd also not have vitamised the grapes. Pressed or whole, but too late now.

Be kind to your yeast and feed it well, a and this should remain dry.

If you add another 3 pounds of honey it will bring the gravity up - probably to around 1.090-1.095 which will put you in the 12-13% ABV range. Whatever yeast you are using should be able to handle that as long as you manage the pH.

awesome! thanks for the help guys, I added the 3lbs of honey and its at 1.090 now. The only yeast i have at home and ever used is ec-1118 so imma use that one. Thats my next step reading up on different yeasts. Its hard to find the time with 2 babies in the house :rolleyes:

cheers

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns