PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Portland OR & willing to taste test?

BloodBlight
09-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Hey everyone, I am fairly sure my first batch is good to go. I know it will need more time to age, but if anyone is in the area and is interested in doing a taste test I would be very appreciative.

Oh, I had one question though. Should you continue to store mead in a cool environment for continued aging?

GntlKnigt1
09-21-2014, 09:59 AM
At 55 F, it will age more slowly than at 75 F.

mannye
09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I can't believe this has only gotten one response! Free mead guys!

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 04:18 PM
I'd be keen to taste, but you'd have to be as crazy as Mannye to post it to Australia!

mannye
09-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I haven't forgotten your insane box of mead either! I'll be tasting the rest this weekend on a boat! I'll get the expert opinion of three other drunks....I mean experts...as well!

BloodBlight
09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Yaaa, I don't think they let you ship homemade booze here. :)

Ya, I am kinda surprised as well, thought for sure I'd have a taker.

Seriously though, it is okay to age it in the mid to high 70's?

mannye
09-22-2014, 09:46 PM
I think for aging you will be fine.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

kudapucat
09-22-2014, 10:37 PM
It's more important to have a stable temperature than a cool one.
Also: ship them as vinegar samples and they get through customs ok. ;-)

mannye
09-23-2014, 12:33 AM
All I ever ship is unfinished vinegar. ::wink::

Myrto
09-23-2014, 03:18 AM
Well, my significant other and I live in Portland, and funnily enough this was one of the first threads I saw. But while we would certainly be willing, we are very much beginning meadmakers ourselves, and probably wouldn't be able to give you the proper feedback. Maybe what we need is a Meadmakers' Club, like all of those Homebrewers' Clubs?

kudapucat
09-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Myrto, don't undervalue the opinion of a palate with no preconceptions, and an open mind.
It will also be educational for you.
I cannot suggest strongly enough that you catch up with BloodBlight, and see what they've got on offer. When you're ready, catch up again.
It's REALLY important and helpful.

BloodBlight
09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Indeed, this sounds like a fun idea. :)

New makers get to come for the info and sharing, experienced makers come for the free mead!

skunkboy
09-24-2014, 11:11 PM
My basement varies between low 60's in the winter to med 70's in the summer and I have been aging mead in it for over a decade ...

BloodBlight
09-24-2014, 11:54 PM
Oh, I just tried some of it after letting it settle for a few days, MUCH better now. :) But Not I need to re-rack it again to get it 100% clear.

I assume that slight .... whatever smell goes away with age?

kudapucat
09-25-2014, 12:08 AM
It really depends on the smell. Any chance of a better description?

Rotten egg?
Dirty socks?
Cabbage?
Chemical?
Metho?

Splash some into a glass.
Put your hand over it and shake.
Now smell it? Has it dissipated? If so, it may age out or it may need a splash racking.

BloodBlight
09-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I plan one final racking, it is almost crystal clear now but there is some settlement that I will have to be very careful not to disturb (not 100% sure how I am going to pull that off). Do you guys use filters?

Um, from memory (for what little that is worth), almost yeasty but not in a pleasant way, but when I rack/taste it again I will do that and write down what I am thinking.

I will say I started this process using bleach to sanitize and after reading thing here switched to Sana Star products for cleaning. I also grabbed some nice glass carboys on craigslist for dirt cheap and plan to use glass from now on.

Myrto, when I get some extra time I will do a post on craigslist and see if I get any hits on other people wanting to meet up.

mannye
09-25-2014, 10:48 AM
I use a Vinbrite filter because it's cheap and easy (like me lol) and because I haven't yet set up my more elaborate systems. But I feel that filtering gives your mead that professional polished look without affecting the flavor.

kudapucat
09-25-2014, 04:38 PM
Oh dear. Don't use bleach. I can't remember why.

kudapucat
09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Ahh. Here it is. Musty, mouldy, cork taint smell.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/FS/FS-50-W.pdf

mannye
09-25-2014, 05:31 PM
Taint. Lol. You said taint.

Myrto
09-25-2014, 06:51 PM
Sounds great!

BloodBlight
09-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Yep, that could be it. :/
Oh well, just don't smell it, it still tasted good. :)

If I continue doing this I think I will get a filter then. It really looks great right now! But I don't know that I can keep it that way.

The guy at the brew store suggested putting it in the fridge for a few weeks and that would make the sediment hard and easier to avoid.

Here are some pics (ya, it is in a few bottles right now, I didn't want to go back to plastic and I didn't have the glass carboy yet):
http://imgur.com/a/N5v6D

skunkboy
09-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Bleach is fine to clean dirty glass and help remove labels, just rinse really well after using it...

Honeyhog
09-25-2014, 08:19 PM
I used bleach at first too. It's just that everything needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and then rinsed some more until you can no longer get even the faintest whiff.

mannye
09-26-2014, 07:40 AM
I was told many years ago that bleach would eventually etch the glass giving bacteria hidy holes but I have no idea if that's true.

On the other hand, sodium metabisulfite has never let me down and has the ability to magically remove any odor from anything. And it's so easy to tell if it's still working. If it smells bad, it's good!

icedmetal
09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Your mead is looking pretty clear, but it's not completely clear yet. If you want a cheaper option than buying a filter, try Super Kleer. It does a great job, in my experience. The yeasty smell could just be... yeast.

BloodBlight
09-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Well, I just did a final racking / bottling. It is TASTY! :) I may have had a large glass of it already...

http://i.imgur.com/1k7lvrH.jpg

The smell is definitely just dead yeast and has faded considerably.

Myrto, how is your brew coming? Or have you started?

I was down at Steinbarts and they actually asked if they could try it. Interested in making a trip down there? I haven't posted anything to craigs yet.
http://www.fhsteinbart.com/

On my process, is it abnormal to bottle this early? Wine ages in its bottle, so I assume the same if fine for mead as well.

I didn't get a pic of it, but I double racked this time, once from the single containers into a carboy and then back out to bottles.

I have a half gallon in there that was the junk at the bottom of each bottle, I will rack that on its own later, we will see if it is worth keeping.

Myrto
10-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Looks beautiful!

I've only made two one gallon batches so far, but about to start on a 6 gallon cyser, and then I'm thinking a dry traditional, maybe 3 gallons. Just made a connection with a local beekeeper, so I want to try and get some of his honey for it, so have yet to start, but should be ready to go within a week or two. I've been doing beer and some country wines, so the obsession with mead is a bit of a newer thing, but I'm fully on board now. I think I'll be focusing my energy primarily on mead going forward.

Steinbart is my favorite homebrew shop, I'm always happy to make a trip there!

(Not an expert, obviously, but personally I age in bottles simply because I don't have enough space or carboys for bulk aging, and everything I've read says this is fine, if perhaps not the most ideal.)

EDIT: Sorry, realized the post was a few days old, so I may be a bit late on that front. I'm having trouble getting this forum to send me notifications.

kudapucat
10-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Aging in bottle is fine.
I often find with JAO that I bottle too early, and so it drops some sediment in the bottle.
To remedy this, I make a big batch, and I break the warranty by racking it after the fruit drop.
The only other bother with bottling early is, if it restarts, you're in for an unpleasant surprise, and it's much harder to doctor if, in a year, you think: it could have done with some acid.