PDA

View Full Version : Mixing honey

bloodaxeberserk
09-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi I am trying to make my first batch of mead and was looking to do this recipe: 1 gallon of Spring Water

Yeast: Fleishcmanns (1 packet)
25 Raisins
1 Cinnamon stick
1 whole orange, sliced and peels included
1 pinch of allspice
1 pinch of nutmeg
3 1/2 pounds of clover honey
1 whole clove

Problem is the kind of honey I have is in a pint jar (believe about 1 and a half pounds). The honey is Dark Alfalfa honey (it is dark like maple syrup) and I cannot find anymore of it since I bought it from a local farmer from a faire and have no way of getting more from him. But I was looking at the honey at the store I worked at (it is a mostly organic store) and they had orange blossom honey for sale and was thinking about mixing the two honeys. Is this a good idea?

WVMJack
10-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Certainly mix all you want as many different kinds, is this a JAOM? Your farmer doesnt have his contact info on his label, they are supposed to. WVMJ

bloodaxeberserk
10-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I do not remember what the recipe was called but it was recommended to me for a first time batch. And the farmer did leave me a card but can not find it. But thanks for the tip!

icedmetal
10-01-2014, 10:07 AM
This recipe is definitely a JAOM or a derivation thereof. Search these forums for JAOM, and find the massive thread(s) where many, many first-time as well as experienced mazers are making JAOMs, and how they have changed the recipe with success (or not).