PDA

View Full Version : Ok I feel like this is a dumb question but I have to ask

McJeff
10-01-2014, 09:48 AM
When adding something in a secondary that has fermentable sugars(fruit for example) you obviously want to stabilize. So when I decide to back sweeten after the secondary is done, do I need to stabalize again or will the first still be effective.

icedmetal
10-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Stabilization refers to getting most of the lees (inactive yeast and other detritus) out of your must, then killing off whatever is left using various means, usually potassium metabisulfite. If the additions you make don't contain any yeast (either intentional or accidental!), you shouldn't need to stabilize again.

Medsen Fey
10-01-2014, 06:59 PM
It usually is a good idea to add more KMeta as this dissipates over time (and honey can bind a lot)

McJeff
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Excellent ty!

bernardsmith
10-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Not a dumb question but your question prompts me to ask you whether (and why) you stabilize your mead if you are not intending to sweeten it? Not sure if everyone on this forum would agree but I only stabilize before I bottle and then only if I am back sweetening. If there is no good reason to add K-sorbate or additional K-meta then I prefer to avoid the use of chemicals that are not needed and would not add K-sorbate. I am OK adding K-meta every couple or three months but I add only the minimum I can to produce enough free SO2 to inhibit oxidation.

McJeff
10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
This particular batch is goin to have chocolate in the secondary. I'll need to taste it before I decide if I back sweeten and if hoe much.

bernardsmith
10-02-2014, 11:46 AM
chocolate as in bars of chocolate or chocolate as in cocoa nibs or cocoa powder?

McJeff
10-02-2014, 12:29 PM
I have some cocoa powder iwas going to put in teabags

Medsen Fey
10-02-2014, 01:36 PM
If you have a batch that finished sweet (without backsweetening) it is usually a good idea to stabilize unless you plan to bulk age for a long long time.

bernardsmith
10-02-2014, 08:34 PM
If you have a batch that finished sweet (without backsweetening) it is usually a good idea to stabilize unless you plan to bulk age for a long long time.

I guess I always aim to ferment dry and so never think about having residual sugar in the mead that the yeast COULD years from now become reactivated and gobble up producing enough CO2 to wreck havoc. Thanks for helping me see outside of my box..