PDA

View Full Version : Risk of Brett contamination in mead

Maeloch
10-02-2014, 05:25 AM
I've started brewing Belgian 'funky' beers with Brett*. I'm aware this raises a contamination risk - particularly in other beers - but how much in mead? Specifically:

Does sulphite and/or sorbate work on Brett? - Is a mead that's been already been stabilised is resistant to Brett?
Is a vigarous primary ferment resistant to Brett until racked and sulphited?
Is Brett susceptible to 'killer' strains, i.e. KV1-1116?

If they answers to the above tend to be 'yes' I'm thinking basic good sanitation would be enough. If not, I need to think about how I segregate my equipment, and maybe keep the open vessels out the same areas.

*aka having a play adding Orval dregs to a couple of saisons that have finished too sweet.

Maeloch
10-02-2014, 06:01 AM
On the other side of the coin - is a saison yeast + brett cake likely to be any good for a mead? I'm thinking a dark berry melomel.

Medsen Fey
10-03-2014, 06:12 AM
Sulfites will usually keep Brettanomyces suppressed. Some folks have made some interesting meads using it. Meads that are finished, with a higher ABV may be more resistant to Brett, but I wouldn't risk losing a batch by not sulfiting if I was using it for other brews. It probably causes more batches to go bad than we recognize.

Maeloch
10-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Sulfites will usually keep Brettanomyces suppressed. Some folks have made some interesting meads using it. Meads that are finished, with a higher ABV may be more resistant to Brett, but I wouldn't risk losing a batch by not sulfiting if I was using it for other brews. It probably causes more batches to go bad than we recognize.

Okay thanks again. I may try a gallon batch with Brett. Meanwhile I'll make sure I don't get slack with the sulphites.