• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Burnt Mead Touble Fermenting

Barrel Char Wood Products

Canada_Eh

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2014
Recipe :
14.5lbs honey
14l water
ec-1118

Primary on Oct 1st (3days ago)

UcqX1RA.jpg

This mead isn't fermenting like mine usually do, its barely bubbling but there is some minor activity. Im wondering if this is considered fermentation or if i should repitch more yeast.

I didn't/don't use chemicals or yeast nutrients, maybe I should pick some up ?

Thanks

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
14.5 pounds of honey with a 14l final volume is pretty high, about 1.140. If you simply added 14l of water to the honey then the gravity will be somewhat lower, but still hard for yeast to chew through. What was your starting gravity? What is it now? Did you aerate?

This one is probably going to be a slow fermenter, especially if you don't add nutrients. At the very least, you should consider adding some boiled bread yeast. Put a few teaspoons of yeast in some water, boil it in a microwave, then add to the must.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
First off: Welcome to GotMead!!! We're friendly, don't bite, and have had our shots (of mead anyway!)

The list of ingredients you have pretty much make a "Show Mead", they can take a very long time to ferment and are extremely fussy at best. My 2 attempts at them have led to new and interesting smells to say the least.

+1 on the boiled yeast. I use it all the time, mostly due to it being cheap and having lots of it all the time (I buy it in 1Kg bricks for breads for ~$3.50). You can also add a small handful of raisins, ~20 should do. The mead that you're fermenting will not taste like bread any more then you mead will taste like grape wine from adding the raisins. They just add nutrients for your yeasties to use and be healthy from start to finish of the ferment. Yeasties are cannibals after all...

Do you have a hydrometer & test jar to measure the gravity already? If not then one is needed in your next purchase of equipment (this from someone who put it off till the 3rd batch).

Also be sure your ferment stays below 77ºF or you risk fusels, hot burning rocket fuel alcohol taste. Not sure where you are at or the temps the ferment is being kept in. Too cold and the ferments just drag out...

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
How did you burn your honey? A little fermaid might help you out, though EC1118 isnt a big foamer so without gravity readings its hard to tell what is really going on. WVMJ

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I made a bochet about a year ago. Evidently, when we 'burn' the honey, we change at least some of the sugars into things that the yeast can't use. I found that, even using nutrients and energizer and a very active, robust yeast, and additions to keep the pH in check, it wouldn't ferment dry.

It is taking a long time to age too. Whether it is because of my yeast and honey choices or because of how much or how long I caramelized the honey remains unclear to me.

I'm SURE this isn't what a bochet is supposed to taste like... at least not yet. Its not undrinkable, but the elements that made me want to make a bochet in the first place just aren't really there.

Just my $0.02 worth.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
All Bochet batches are good GK. I think a little added raw honey might help some people ferment down further but the sweetness left over from not fermenting all the sugars can be planned for and in the end contribute to the tastes of the Bochet. Boosting some of the flavors with vanilla beans and cocoa nibs and oak put it up a notch. We have been restraining ourselves from dipping into the carboy of Bochet until later this fall to see if they are ready. Thinking about making a Polish style, 2 gallon of Goldrush, great flavored apple with good acid levels and about a gallon of Burnt honey, maybe a little less depending on how sweet the apples are, Might be the magical caramel apple pie mead everyone keeps trying to capture:) WVMJ

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you ferment with EC-1118 and use no nutrients chances are good you will end up with sulfur odors. It really does help to feed the yeast. You can use boiled bread yeast, bee pollen or an organic yeast nutrient if you want to keep it "natural."

Canada_Eh

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 20, 2014
Sorry for the delay I've been away. Thanks alot of all your input. My starting gravity was only 1.060 but I didn't have a thief at the time so I extracted the sample with a baster. The sugar lvl might be lower since it was taken from the top. Also I always ferment my mead at 68-70 degrees and keep it steady. Definitely gonna check out that organic yeast nutrient.

Btw its fermenting slowly but steady now, just gonna take longer then usual as u guys mentioned.

Cheers!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns