• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Barrel tap smelling of vinegar

Barrel Char Wood Products

garfo

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2014
Portugal
Hello, I've got 10 litters of mead that I've put into an oak 10l barrel. After one week I started noticing that the room where the barrel sits was smelling of vinegar.
I then realized it was the wooden tap that was absorbing some of the liquid and creating that smell. I removed the tap and left it on an hot water solution with some active oxygen to kill the bacteria. After that I covered it with some beeswax to isolate the tap from the exterior and put it back to the barrel.
Is there any danger that the tap will infect the interior of the barrel?

gniznik

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2014
How does the mead taste?
There's no way of predicting what will happen. You'll just have to wait and see.
Assuming you are using a neutral barrel you should sanitize it between fills with kmeta and citric acid. Search barrel care for the correct proportions

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Actually, if the tap is the only thing contaminated so far, it will eventually make mead vinegar of the whole barrel. I suggest you spray the tap with sanitizer and drain the thing onto some K meta. Then thoroughly sanitize the barrel and put everything back.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

garfo

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2014
Portugal
I've removed the tap and placed it first on some active oxygen solution, and then I've left it for 15 minutes on hot water with a solution that is used to clean barrels. It has Sulfurs and other chemical stuff. I'll have to see how it tastes in a couple of weeks.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I've removed the tap and placed it first on some active oxygen solution, and then I've left it for 15 minutes on hot water with a solution that is used to clean barrels. It has Sulfurs and other chemical stuff. I'll have to see how it tastes in a couple of weeks.

You don't have another vessel to move the mead into? You should. We are talking about microscopic organisms. In two weeks it might be too late.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns