PDA

View Full Version : 1st Batch of Mead - B-Nektar Black Fang Style?

gatorforty
11-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm a pretty solid all-grain beer brewer (~25 batches), making mead for the first time.

My wife really likes the B-Nektar Black Fang mead, and so do I. It's a blackberry melomel with clove and orange zest. 6.0% ABV, so I guess considered a "session" mead.

I'm going to make a 2 gallon batch to try to do something like it. I can't find a clone recipe or even advice anywhere online, but here's my thoughts so far:

2 gallons water
2 lbs Orange Blossom Honey
3lbs Blackberry Puree (Vintner's Harvest, http://morebeer.com/products/blackberry-puree.html) added to the secondary
1-2 whole cloves
zest of one orange
D47 yeast?

This should get me to about SG 1.041 and finish around 6% if the blackberry ferments out, according to some online calculators I've seen. I'm hoping the D47 will leave a bit of residual sweetness otherwise I will back sweeten with honey when I keg/carb.

Questions:

1 - have you had the Black Fang, and do you think this makes sense?
2 - when should I add the cloves and orange zest? I'm not planning on boiling or even pasteurizing, but do these additions need heat or do I just toss them in?

Thanks in advance for reading this and providing any guidance you can!

- Ron

McJeff
11-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Ive had the mead you are talking about, one of my favs. Im tryin to remember if it had hints of "pepperyness" to it or was that a diff one.

The recipe you have there is a pretty good starting point. One thing D47 will not leave any residual honey from that recipe. my other concern is it tasting a bit thin/watery, hopefully backsweetening will solve that problem. I say go for it and let us know how it comes out.

skunkboy
11-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Black fang is the one with lots of clove, the one with black pepper was the Mango...

Put the clove and zest in the primary.

gatorforty
11-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will let you know how it turns out. So far it smells delicious.

Ron