PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a ph meter

Squatchy
11-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Hi

I'm just getting started making Mead and want to buy a ph meter. Can you guys suggest what you use or provide a link please.

Thanks

psychopomp23
11-05-2014, 12:52 PM
I use PH strips. you can find some on ebay for like a dollar for a 100

PitBull
11-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Just go to Amazon.com and search for "pH meter". They can be had for under $20. The one I use was under $40. Be sure to get calibration solutions and probe storage solution. Skip the small packets of solution and go for a bottle since it's a lot more economical in the long run (if you use it even a moderate amount).

If you go with test strips. Be sure to get the wine makers test strips. They have a much narrower pH range and therefore are much more precise and accurate for home brewing than full range strips.

GntlKnigt1
11-05-2014, 06:11 PM
PH meter can be calibrated using coca cola, which is 2.5. You don't need to buy calibration solutions

ScottBehrens
11-05-2014, 07:53 PM
doesn't matter what meter you buy you will always doubt its accuracy and feel the need to crossscheck it.

skunkboy
11-05-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm sort of interested in picking one up to, but the reviews on most of the inexpensive ones make you doubt their ability to work...

GntlKnigt1
11-06-2014, 03:33 AM
They work, and give good info. If you doubt the reading, check the calibration. I've had 2 now... you need to store them so the bulb remains wet, and I carelessly left it upside down, and the LED display was all hosed up, so I had to get another one....but there's no way I would make mead now without it. Indispensable.

mannye
11-06-2014, 08:45 AM
There is a giant thread on it somewhere around here from about two years ago.

Search el cheapo ph meter

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

Chevette Girl
11-10-2014, 12:07 AM
I suggest you get one with a narrow enough electode that it can fit in hour hydromter test tube or the mouth of your carboy. Mine's so fat I just use the strips...

joemirando
11-10-2014, 09:57 PM
I suggest you get one with a narrow enough electode that it can fit in hour hydromter test tube or the mouth of your carboy. Mine's so fat I just use the strips...

I have the same issue... an $8.00 pH meter from eBay. its too wide to fit in the test tube, so I pour it from there into a water glass and do the reading there. It keeps calibration pretty well (there's always fresh buffer solution in the lab at work, so I check it every so-often). Best eight bucks I've ever spent in mead making. And that includes the honey I usually use. ;)

GntlKnigt1
11-11-2014, 03:50 AM
If you ferment in a pail, its not an issue. It also is easier to add potassium carbonate, should it be needed.