PDA

View Full Version : musty mead

homoeccentricus
11-14-2014, 12:55 PM
About six months I made my first mead, a dry melomel with sour cherries and WYeast Dry Mead.
Last night I opened a bottle, and, very unexpectedly, it tasted bland, and a bit musty/moldy. Any idea what might have caused this? Will this improve over time? (duh!)

In the meanwhile I've switched to the BOMM protocol. This is working very well, so no complaints there. It's just that I would like to know what went wrong.

Chevette Girl
11-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I find young meads pretty gross, especially if they're dry.

Two suggestions: 1) add a drip of honey to see if a little sweetness brings back the flavours.
2) give it another 6 months before you pass judgement.

OK, three suggestions... 3) uncork another bottle for a small sample, then you could recork it for storage - just to determine if it was just that one bottle or if it was the whole batch.

homoeccentricus
11-16-2014, 03:51 PM
I had already ditched the bottle (only 37 cl), so I opened another one. Not musty now, but kind of sour, I guess from the sour cherries :-P ). Still, not pleasant at all, so I reclosed it. Should I open a third bottle?

I'm a home brewer, and I find mead yeast alien. It's as if a gruesome monster is popping out of my chest. Long live beer yeast!

Honeyhog
11-16-2014, 06:43 PM
If it's dry it could very well take a year or more to come around. I just bottled a dry nectarine melomel that I made 1 1/2 years ago and it's just getting enjoyable now. My mels are usually a little sweeter and enjoyable in about 4 months or so, oaking helps a lot, but the traditionals I don't even taste until a year has gone by.