McJeff
11-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Nothing special about the recipe..

9/10
5 gallon batch
10.5 yellow transparent apples
11lbs wildflower honey
Pectin enzyme overnight
Rehydrated and pitched kv1116 next morning and staggered dap/fermk over next 3 days with aeration.

9/18 slight stir to degas

10/6
Cold crashed, racked stabilized, oaked

11/6
removed oak and another slight stir to degas

After typing this out I'm obviously being a touch impatient ;)

But since I've got you all here, what helps apples clear faster? How do I figure out what kind of particles are "hanging around" and not clearing

McJeff
11-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Other recipe is the same just a diff apple.

loveofrose
11-15-2014, 03:53 PM
It can really only be 2 things:
1. Pectin haze - I know you added pectinase, but was it fresh? How much? You might need new/more.
2. Yeast - To speed up yeast flocculation, you can add a clearing agent like SuperKleer. Or you can cold crash in the fridge. Or you can add SuperKleer then cold crash if you are really impatient.

Better brewing through science!

McJeff
11-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I usually add 1/2 tsp per gallon pre fermentation. Never tried it after the mead was done fermenting was under the impression it didnt work well in the presence of alcohol. Does the stuff go bad? i just store it at room temp in a zip lock bag :(

GntlKnigt1
11-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I love super Kleer.....does a great job

McJeff
11-15-2014, 06:00 PM
I guess ive just been really lucky with stuff clearing normally and havent thought about using anything to help it along. Do you find any off taste from the clearing agents? Is super kleer a "natural" chemical or is a man made kinda thing?

McJeff
11-15-2014, 06:06 PM
was just reading up on super kleer and its made from shellfish, do people with shellfish allergies need to worry?

Midnight Sun
11-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Chitosan is sometimes used as a filer for pills, so those with allergies are probably OK. Never hurts to warn them though.

BBBF
11-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Chitosan is sometimes used as a filer for pills, so those with allergies are probably OK. Never hurts to warn them though.

Interesting...

You might also have to let people that it isn't kosher.

Chevette Girl
11-16-2014, 10:35 AM
I had a crabapple wine that hadn't cleared after a year, added bentonite to the batch and it was clear by the next morning. When it works, it works really well :)

McJeff
11-16-2014, 10:49 AM
I had a crabapple wine that hadn't cleared after a year, added bentonite to the batch and it was clear by the next morning. When it works, it works really well :)

any off flavors form the bentonite?

mannye
11-17-2014, 12:37 AM
I use SuperKleer almost exclusively now but before I used to use gelatin. Neither promotes any off flavors. On the contrary they can help "clean up" the flavor by removing most of whatever is suspended in the wine/beer. Yeast has flavor y'know! However, as often as not, it has no effect on flavor at all.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

EJM3
11-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Bentonite is more likely to remove all flavors (and colors and aromatics as well) if over used rather than impart off flavors. Unless you leave it on the lees that form for an extended time afterwards...

McJeff
11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
As always ty guys!