• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The all mighty ABV

Barrel Char Wood Products

lukus135

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2014
Edinburgh
Hi all.
I'm fairly new to the brewing game, and as always being new brings up a lot of questions.

In wanting a good tasting brew we also want a to know the ABV whether that be a knock your socks off or a casual drink.

So my question is, what is (in your personal opinion) the best way to calculate the ABV of your brews?

Thanks in advanced

Lukus135

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
As EMJ3 states. It's the change in gravity you're after.

An estimate can easily be calculated (for high alcohol brews like 12%+) using the magic approximate value of 135.
If the gravity drop is 0.105, multiply by 135 to get 14%
this will get you within plus/minus 0.5%

For brews below 12% you need a different magic number, which I don't recall, as I never make anything that light.

If you want a dry brew of 12% (which is equal to or less than your yeast tolerance) then simply divide 12/135 to get 0.089
So start your brew at 1.089.

This can also help you get a feel for residual sweetness, though that's a little bit of a gamble, as yeast never behave quite the way you expect.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns