• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM using dry yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

tnc

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2014
Have anyone tried making a BOMM with dry east? Specially the Lalvin and Red Star families?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
The magic is in the specific yeast. It won't be ready in a month if you deviate

clone63

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 1, 2013
Belleville, ON
I'm personally too cheap to have anything shipped that would triple the bill lol.
Considerably a worhwhile expense were one to wash the yeast and use it for several generations.

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I'm personally too cheap to have anything shipped that would triple the bill lol.
Considerably a worhwhile expense were one to wash the yeast and use it for several generations.

You don't need to wash it, actually. You can just collect it and reuse it. If it's fresh, you can use it as is. If you let it sit over a week or two in the fridge you'd need to make a starter to get the best results.

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Where are you? The yeast is the Duvel yeast - you could try growing up that from the bottles. I made a good mead from that, but it did stall out a bit early.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
That's why I am looking for an alternative. Where I live it's very hard to find liquid yeasts. :(
If there are microbreweries near your location, you might see if any are making Belgians and ask after the type of yeast used. If it is the 1388 (White Labs WLP570 is said to be very close and could work in a pinch), then buy a bottle and create a culture. Or you could even ask for a yeast sample if you are bold enough.

All that said, you'll probably spend just as much money buying beer as you would simply buying a smack pack and getting less guarantee. Harvesting yeast from starters or washing yeast will allow you to get many batches out of a single pack. That should take the sting out of making your purchase.

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Duvel uses bottle yeast, so it's not the same.

Hrmm good point, and probably why it didn't perform. But are you sure it's different or it's just an unknown if it's the same yeast? I've googled this for quite a bit without finding any confirmation one way or the other.

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
I'm pretty sure. This has been discussed many times on beer forums in Belgium and the Netherlands. I'm even pretty sure Duvel is pasteurized before bottling, so separate bottling yeast would have to be added.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
If you're in the USA, then it's very easy to get your hands on Wyeast 1388. It's available from a number of online retailers including Amazon as well as directly from Wyeast. If you're worried about getting raped on the cost, then just have enough honey to make three 5 gallon batches one after another. That's how I do it. I put one bag into the bucket with the first batch, then once primary is done I throw the second batch right on top of the first one. Then once the second one is done, I wash the yeast, and throw that entire "super starter" (not really but almost) into the third batch. I don't take it farther than three generations. If you look at the yeast bank instructions loveofrose put up, you can buy one pouch and have an almost endless supply of yeast. I'm too lazy/stupid/drunk to do that, but those that do seem to like it.

homoeccentricus

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2014
In the coming months I will probably carry out a BOMM experiment with a new dry Belgian yeast, Fermentis Safbrew Abbaye. It's definitely not the Duvel yeast, but rather one of the Trappist yeasts (Chimay, Westmalle, Rochefort). Maybe that one will be good on mead.

HunterandtheHarp

Worker Bee
Registered Member
I'm working on this at the moment. I purchased about 10 Belgium ale yeasts and plan to run a side by side experiment. Of course it won't be the BOMM but it will give some direction as to what can work.
Ive already started with a Aussie made Belgium yeast and a Mangrove Jacks Belgium yeast that was ready in a month. 1.085 to 1.000 in a couple of weeks. Rested, cold crashed and just bottled less than a week ago, so it is possible.

pedroblom

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2014
I'm working on this at the moment. I purchased about 10 Belgium ale yeasts and plan to run a side by side experiment. Of course it won't be the BOMM but it will give some direction as to what can work.
Ive already started with a Aussie made Belgium yeast and a Mangrove Jacks Belgium yeast that was ready in a month. 1.085 to 1.000 in a couple of weeks. Rested, cold crashed and just bottled less than a week ago, so it is possible.
Will you document and publish your result? Im looking for a dry ale yeast alternative too.

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns