PDA

View Full Version : Mead is too sweet

threeway
11-19-2014, 01:06 PM
I made one batch of mead, with the white labs yeast, but it stalled out and I just racked it to a keg. Was about 13-14 lbs of honey, 5 gallons.
FG was 1.051, it's actually about 1.45 now. Way way too sweet.

I made a second batch with the same yeast, 12lbs honey, 5 gallons total. SG=1.08, it's at about 1.011 now. I'm going to rack it to my car boy when it finishes up. I'm pretty sure my stalling issue was heat. My primary fermentor read about 65 degrees and I was getting no more bubbling in the airlock. The second batch I added a heating belt.

Anyways, is it ok to cap off the second batch in the carboy with mead from the keg or is that a nono? I'd like to do something to bring the sweetness down on the first batch. 5 gallons is a lot of something that sweet to figure out what to do with.

Thanks!

McJeff
11-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Temp of 65 should be fine. A lot of people that can't control temp actually ferment around 70. Not knowing the ingredients I'd start by checking ph and buying some ec1118 yeast to finish it off

fatbloke
11-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Temp fine. For the overly sweet one, I'd just stabilise it and add some small increments of acid. That should sort the sweetness.

Without ingredients details, just run with what McJeff said. Or just blend the two after stabilising........ If the combined batch is still too sweet, try the acid trick. It works well, but small increments is the trick to it.....

threeway
11-19-2014, 04:06 PM
acid, that would work, I have citric acid for just that purpose I suppose.

McJeff
11-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Coming from personal experience with a gravity of 1.045, adding acid blends won't be enough. Just far far too sweet, either blend it with a dry(careful of restarting) or just restart it and run it dry or as close as you can get it.

threeway
11-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Coming from personal experience with a gravity of 1.045, adding acid blends won't be enough. Just far far too sweet, either blend it with a dry(careful of restarting) or just restart it and run it dry or as close as you can get it.

I'm about to rack my current batch to a carboy. Would it be silly to just top off the lee in the primary with what I've kegged(the sweet stuff?) or will that be all yeast shock and bad flavors terrible idea?

mannye
11-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Not necessarily. It may work fine, but I would still try blending the two in a glass to see if it blends nicely. SOme of the best meads I've made were blends of sweet and dry. You can then add acid to the resulting blend for even more control over the final result. If that doesn't work then yes, restart it.

antonioh
11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Well...everyboby is going to jump on me...

Here in Portugal, desert syrupy meads are the champions... so, why not turn it in a desert mead, just adding a distillate of around 48~52 alcohol to make a desert mead of around 18~19 alcohol ?

threeway
11-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Too sweet isn't something I enjoy, and my wife really doesn't like it that sweet either.
I took second batch of mead(was 10% abv by hydrometer) put it in carboy, capped it with the sweet mead last night. that is bubbling quite a bit at the moment.

First batch from the keg, i just put back into the bucket with the yeast cake left. I don't have air lock on it yet(waiting from a friend) so I dunno if that's bubbling but probably? I added a tsp of nutrient and a half tsp of DAP.

McJeff
11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
At the. Rey least cover it with something bugs can't get thru