PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy honey?????

Squatchy
11-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I was hoping you people could recommend places to buy honey.

Thanks

Ryan

McJeff
11-19-2014, 10:51 PM
For just general bulk wf honey, I've been getting mine from dutchgoldhoney.com. Not checked other prices recently, so I'll be curious myself what's out there.

Crowing
11-19-2014, 10:56 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Local+honey+locator

Everyone on the Internet is from other places.

McJeff
11-20-2014, 08:55 AM
A lot of local places don't produce large amounts like we use

brentG
11-20-2014, 09:01 AM
I use Dutch Gold too. Haven't found a cheaper place yet. They let you mix and match the 6 packs of 5 lb. jars.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bulk-blossom-hill-clover-honey-5-lb/125HONEYCLOV.html

threeway
11-20-2014, 10:12 AM
My buddy works at the local hippy store "Mother Earth"
They sell clover by bulk. You go in and fill whatever you want and they just weigh it. It's like 4.56/lbs plus my buddies 20% discount.

Allegedly if he can sort it out with his manager get can get it by container, 5 gallons I think at cost if he gets the whole container, but no one seems to know how to order it.

edblanford
11-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Through Google searches, Craigslist and KSL.com (which has local classifieds and is run by a local TV station), I have developed local sources of bulk honey ranging from under $3 per pound (local Clover and Alfalfa) to just over $4 for Orange Blossom (a Utah beekeeper has hives in Utah, So Cal and S Dakota). A couple of years of "due dilligence" has paid off for me, with no shipping costs. I also have a source of bulk Wildflower for under $3.

I am also going to start beekeeping myself with 2 hives in the spring, which will allow me to make "suburban estate" mead and mels with home grown pears, peaches, plums, apples and cherries. It has all taken time, but is well worth it for me.

Shelley
11-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Get in touch with your local beekeeping clubs, and put the word out that you're looking for x pounds of raw honey. Hobbyists who've had a good year may be able to sell you enough for a batch or two.

zapped
11-20-2014, 10:23 PM
I was hoping you people could recommend places to buy honey.

Thanks

Ryan

I searched all over for mine. Craigslist, Google, Etsy even Ebay and found this guy here. About $3.50 a pound and fast shipping. I like the fact that he ships in hermetically sealed bags to save on the cost of bottles or jars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clover-raw-honey-freshly-extracted-unfiltered-from-beekeeper-10-lbs-/331350334518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2604dc36

Crowing
11-21-2014, 12:21 AM
Just thought you guys might be interested in this from Dutch gold's ingredient specifications for their products:
"prepared by flash heating to approximately 185F to kill yeast and mold"

Personally I prefer totally raw honey whenever possible though I know not everyone is the same.

McJeff
11-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Just thought you guys might be interested in this from Dutch gold's ingredient specifications for their products:
"prepared by flash heating to approximately 185F to kill yeast and mold"

Personally I prefer totally raw honey whenever possible though I know not everyone is the same.

I know where you are coming from. This is the way I see it, if I'm doing a melomel or some other mead that for the most part will hide the honey flavor I have np using flashed heated honey. If I want to do something that I want the honey to stand out I'll buy special honey local from a friend in smaller amounts.

Just order a gallon of tupelo, that was a hit to the wallet.

EJM3
11-23-2014, 07:33 PM
After traveling for 5 weeks to 7 states just recently I can honestly say that finding it locally is the best option. Only once did I see honey at a reasonable price of $13.99 for a 5lb container of alfalfa/clover honey (I bought 2 but only 1 made it home). It ranged from that low of $14 for 80oz, to as high as $25 for 10oz of Tupelo, and even $35 for a 10oz Mauka in Mendocino (AKA: Spendocino). I found some local wildflower honey in Spendocino that is just divine, but only got 1 1/4 pounds ($4.99/lb) due to lack of a suitable container (bucket). Otherwise the only good prices have been local for me. It's all wildflower honey I get so cheap, but it makes for some really tasty mead, melomels, cysers, etc... More flavors, not just the singular varietal version, make a tastier one for me who like bold flavors to begin with.

mcrow24
11-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Check the local brewing store. We have a couple here that sell bulk honey from local producers that is good quality.

bathtub brewer
11-25-2014, 04:28 PM
So far I have spread word to all my friends not to throw out crystalized honey and made my mead (4, 5gal batches) with free honey they give me. However I have looked in to other honeys. I have 14lbs of wild Alaska honey my wife bought at the local brewing store. It was expensive $7.50/lb. The guy at the store convinced her it would make much better mead. We will see.
If there is no significant difference I'll stick with the free stuff or buy the $3/lb stuff at the local bulk food store.