PDA

View Full Version : Black bottom under the yeast cake questions?

Squatchy
11-20-2014, 11:28 AM
I have been step feeding (honey) to a couple of one gallon batches. I starteds having a little darkness on the very bottom that I could see through the glass. In one day it might have doubled the amount of black so I racked it off into fresh glass. I'm thinking that was the dead yeast and it got to the point where they really started dying off in mass as the alcohol level went above thier tolerances. Is that the case???

Thanks

mannye
11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Probably not, but it's nothing to worry about. The black or dark layer you are seeing is likely different things precipitating out of the honey as well as dead yeast. The yeast cake on the bottom can be anything from a light beige to a nasty looking dark residue. 99% of the time it means nothing and regardless, racking off the lees isn't going to fix it if it does indicate a problem. Which it doesn't. Relax and have some homebrew. :)

EJM3
11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
I have had a few ferments that have had some of the most foul looking lees I have seen to date, and I've made about 10 experimental, 5 one gallon, and 5 five gallon batches of mead and cider in the 1 year I have been mazing. Yet another reason to call them "gross lees" I guess.

What was your recipe?? Did you make a traditional, a melomel, metheglin??

Sometimes my lees have changed colors as the ferment has progressed to give me a rainbow of UGH! colored layers.