PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the ABV is on this recipie????

Squatchy
11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
So I made this a few weeks back before I had purchased a hydrometor. That was prior to learning there is so much science involved in making mead. I racked this last night and back sweetened a little bit I had extra that wouldn't fit into my carboy. I followed the recipie exactly. Can anyone tell me what they think the ABV might be and how you came up with the figures please. I have not added the back sweeting yet as I am trying to clear it with Sparkelloid first. I tasted really dry so I'm guessing it ate up all the sugar

3 gal*lons apple juice (use only 100%, pas*teur*ized juice with no preser*v*a*tive other than Vit*a*min C-ascorbic acid)
21/2 pounds honey (use 2 pounds for pri*mary fer*men*ta*tion and reserve the 1/2 pound for backsweetening/priming)
2 pounds dark brown sugar
1 Table*spoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice (or, make your own)
3 cin*na*mon sticks
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1 5 gram pack*age Lalvin 71B-1122 Wine Yeast

loveofrose
11-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I need the final volume to give you gravity. I also need the volume of the concentrate.

Better brewing through science!

Squatchy
11-26-2014, 12:57 PM
The final volume was 3.25 gallons. I have not even purchased the concentrate as of yet. Nor have I added the 1/2 pound honey to finish.
Would you have any suggestions or comments about the recipie?

Honeyhog
11-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Just one question. Any rea*son for all the as*ter*isks in the re*ci*pe?

Squatchy
11-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Just one question. Any rea*son for all the as*ter*isks in the re*ci*pe?

I'm not sure why that happened. I cut and pasted and that is how it showed up. I didn't even realize it until just now when I came back to see what your post was about :)

loveofrose
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM
The final volume was 3.25 gallons. I have not even purchased the concentrate as of yet. Nor have I added the 1/2 pound honey to finish.
Would you have any suggestions or comments about the recipie?

As the recipe stands above, your starting gravity was ~1.090. I don't think I would add concentrate as it will be tart enough. I would add more honey until it stabilizes in the 1.005-1.010 range. Additionally, I would add vanilla bean.

Squatchy
12-06-2014, 10:28 AM
As the recipe stands above, your starting gravity was ~1.090. I don't think I would add concentrate as it will be tart enough. I would add more honey until it stabilizes in the 1.005-1.010 range. Additionally, I would add vanilla bean.

Sent you a PM :)