PDA

View Full Version : Fermenting temps too cool?

McJeff
11-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Just curious is there a point that you can ferment too cold. Now im not talking cold enough to crash or having the yeast go dormant. Obviously it will also depend on the individual yeast. My breezeway during the winter stays about 60-61 and im just generally wondering if there is a point where its too cool to ferment. If so what happens when you ferment too cold?

fatbloke
11-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Yeast dependent. Have a look at the lalvin yeast list. They publish temp guides for all their range. Some are better than others, but K1-V1116 will apparently, ferment down to 10C, producing the highest levels of esters down there.

There's also other temp related issues, like D47 which is knownto produce lots of fusels if fermented above 70F/21C, so lower is likely better for meads with that........

McJeff
11-29-2014, 04:53 PM
So too cold is just as important as too hot. I had planned on using V1116 on some tupelo honey i have. Esters... im goin to have to research that word.

Crowing
11-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Well D47 has been fermenting at ~55 for me, not sure if here's esters or what esters are but it is fermenting along.

EJM3
11-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Think floral and fruity smells and tastes for esters. I want to ferment K1V as low as I can and see how that comes out. I'm not afraid of slow ferments. Some of mine have dragged out for almost 2 months to completion...

McJeff
11-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Even though esters don't sound overly bad, they are still considered off flavors and not natural. Right? Normally I wouldn't care if it wasn't tupelo honey.

Crowing
11-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah my new batch is definitely doing this then. I though it tasted pretty good for early ferment myself, but I guess it takes away from the honey character

skunkboy
11-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Well, esters are not too bad, fusels (higher alcohols, young alcohol burn and headaches) are what a lot people are trying to avoid with cooler ferments.

EJM3
11-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Again it depends on if that is what you are going for or not (esters that is, we all want to avoid fusels). But since it seems to already be present just let it ride and integrate with all the other compounds. Things seem to have a way of balancing and mellowing out over time. I'm still waiting for one of my first ones I laid down to come to full ripeness after ~11 months so far, and 8 more to go. Should be worth the wait as it is a very delicate wild berry that I went to the effort of to Sur Lie with D47 yeast and then bottle. Probably not long enough. But it was one of my first and a real learning experience, as are all of them. I have also learned that the yeastie beasties always do as they will.

pokerfacepablo
12-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Too sum up on what everyone is saying... ive never had a bad batch with fermenting at really low temps. KV1 can tolerate as low as 50 degrees and still chug along with my experience... remembering that the actual temperature inside is 1 to 2 degrees higher. KV1 is a great yeast for fruity ice wines. That Internet is loaded with pdf's of every yeast out there.