PDA

View Full Version : First time using SuperKleer

McJeff
12-04-2014, 08:27 AM
So i ended up buying a package of superkleer for my apple mead that wouldnt clear. Added the Kieselsol first like the direction said, ended up forgetting about the Chitosan till two days later. Almost didnt add the 2nd part because of how clear a job the first part did. But from what ive read you have to use the 2nd part to clear the first? So when i added the 2nd part i warmed it up in a couple oz of water added it to carboy and gave it a gentle stir. When i stirred it everything became suspended again in the mead and has yet to reclear(its been 3 days now).

What do i do from here?

loveofrose
12-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Either wait or cold crash to speed it up.

Better brewing through science!

McJeff
12-04-2014, 09:55 AM
So it will take some time to work? I expected something faster than 3 days. Never was one to have patience.

loveofrose
12-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Likely a week. If it's a particularly stubborn batch, longer. The above time scale is for "clear". For "sparkle", I give it a month.

Better brewing through science!

McJeff
12-04-2014, 10:10 AM
ok cool ill set it in a cold spot and leave it alone for a bit. TY!

mannye
12-04-2014, 07:25 PM
That's strange that it is taking so long, but I have noticed that the higher the sugar content, the longer it takes. I had a batch that ended up very sweet (1.030) and it took a good week to "sparkle." Although it doesn't truly sparkle until I filter it. I imagine letting it sit in a cool area for a year will also make it sparkle plus age to perfection.

McJeff
12-04-2014, 09:10 PM
This apple is bone dry, I found it odd myself.

proud2b
02-16-2015, 10:27 PM
I wish I had seen this post before making the exact same mistake.. I put Kieselsol into a batch of buckwheat mead, and within 40 minutes the mead was as clear as an amber window. After some hesitation, I then decided to put the Chitosan into the mead (in order to pull the yeast out of suspension), and it completely reversed all of my gains. As I gently stirred it up, I could literally watch it re-suspend all of the particles that the Kieselsol precipitated. I know it's been a year since you posted, but I wanted you to know you're not the only one who had this happen to his mead. BTW: I also used bentonite about two days prior to adding the Kieselsol.. not sure if that was a factor in the re-suspension of the particulates upon adding the chitosan. None the less, as a result of my experience I plan on omitting chitosan from any future mead-making.

edblanford
02-17-2015, 12:20 AM
I had a similar experience with SuperKleer (clearing, then getting cloudy after the second addition). I got distracted by other things and did not get back to those two batches for almost 4 months and have never seen mead as clear as it became. The lees (or fallout) were so compact that I almost could not stir them after racking, so time (and patience) will do wonders.

Medsen Fey
02-17-2015, 07:08 AM
If you add Bentonite, or any fining agent, you need to wait longer than 2 days to judge results before adding more stuff. Waiting at least 2 weeks would be more appropriate. This is where adding the most important ingredient for mead becomes important - patience.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT