PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Color during of Fermentation!

Noob
12-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Hi guys,

just wondering about something, does yeast destroy color pigments? ???
i made 1 gallon batch of pomegranate Melomel.

i used fresh pomegranate i juiced myself.
due type of pom i used juice was more like pitch black.

but after fermentation is done its like pinkish/hazy and even after i used 5micron filter to remove yeast and other particles.
still same color and have some haziness as u can see in picture.
http://mycard.ir/img/color_change.png

even for pitching the yeast i used same juice + yeast & nutrient so no water no nothing

so i wonder what happened here did yeast eatup pigment of fruit or something why it turn like this!

oh and i didnt put it in direct light so no bleaching effect either!

so can anyone shed light on this matter plz im bit confused ???

tnx & cheers :cheers:

Northerngal
12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Can you post your exact recipe and process?

skunkboy
12-11-2014, 02:49 PM
The POM juice when diluted is probably redish(?) like your mead, during the ferment the yeast probably pulled some of the colour out, but oxygen is more likely to destroy more of the color.

Noob
12-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Can you post your exact recipe and process?

yeah sure, it was easy recipe

1. gallon of fresh black pomegranate juice u can use pom wonderful juice they are from same sort of sort of pomegranate tree.
2. 400 gr honey u used clove honey
3. 1/2 teaspoon pollen
4. 1 pack of yeast
5. 1 teaspoon yeast nutrient.

it took about 3 weeks to settle down its totally dry
i let it after in fridge then used 5 micron filter to filter it

it taste good well beside being very dry :P probably add some honey after i figure out why its so hazy.

Noob
12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
The POM juice when diluted is probably redish(?) like your mead, during the ferment the yeast probably pulled some of the colour out, but oxygen is more likely to destroy more of the color.

nah i used special race of pomegranate even seeds of it totally black so not radish or even normal red ones.
as matter of oxygen hmm well it cant be coz demijohn is almost full and airlock on it so how can affect it when it has no access to the juice

theDREWery
12-12-2014, 07:28 AM
Certain juices can have pigments that will settle out over time. I made a ruby red grapefruit wine a couple years ago that was nicely pink at pitching, but two weeks into fermenting was light gold colored with a nice red yeast cake. IIRC, I believe darker pigments tend to be larger molecules which could facilitate them falling out of suspension easier, especially as the solution shifts from sugar/water towards water/ethanol. Did your yeast cake have a lot of color?

Maeloch
12-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Not like this will help in your mead - but it's not a pH effect is it? Have you tried adding acid/base to the juice and seeing if it turns colour?

Noob
12-12-2014, 09:11 AM
nop i didn't maeloch

usually pom have bit acidish in first place anyway
i got citric acid & malic which one should i add and how much

thanks

Not like this will help in your mead - but it's not a pH effect is it? Have you tried adding acid/base to the juice and seeing if it turns colour?

Noob
12-12-2014, 09:14 AM
yeah now u mention it it was redish in bottom of my demijohn.
but still didnt expect to color change that much.

i have old pom juice they can last long on their own for long time if they are not put in sunlight.
thats y i wonder if actually yeast had their own party and ate all red pom pigments and pissed yellow ethanol or something lool

Certain juices can have pigments that will settle out over time. I made a ruby red grapefruit wine a couple years ago that was nicely pink at pitching, but two weeks into fermenting was light gold colored with a nice red yeast cake. IIRC, I believe darker pigments tend to be larger molecules which could facilitate them falling out of suspension easier, especially as the solution shifts from sugar/water towards water/ethanol. Did your yeast cake have a lot of color?