PDA

View Full Version : new noob here

oldhead
12-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone, just joined and have been browsing for info. I have made wine for afew years and decided I would like to try mead after tasting it. I can't find this newbie guide anywhere and the one link I came across didn't work. Todat I bought my honey,yeast (lalavin d47) since I like sweet, energizer, nutrients, sanitizer, and a racking siphon. A few more odds and ends and I will get to brewing.

kudapucat
12-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Careful of your temps with that yeast, he can be a tricksy one.
The "newbee guide" note the spelling,should be available in a menu to the side of the forum page.

kudapucat
12-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Some things to remember.
Keep that yeast cool.
Don't adjust acidity up front like wine,it will probably stall.
Follow standard winemaking sanitation rules.

oldhead
12-14-2014, 06:34 PM
I have a small 8x6 room in the basement that stays cool. And the bigger section outside of that room has a vent. I'll check the temperature of both before I start. As for the side of the forum, I can't see it on the tablet so I' ll look when I get on the computer.

kudapucat
12-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah. That's my issue. Hence the vague directions ;-)

Even with a cool basement, yeast make heat. Be ready with an old tee-shirt to put over it and wet, or sit in in another bucket to which you can add ice water.
That yeast goes funky over 19C

oldhead
12-15-2014, 07:37 AM
I found the pdf guide. Did a little reading last night and saw that it recommended that the racking tubing be food grade. Being in hvac we use 3/8 tubing but it is vinyl. Is there a problem with this since racking isn't a high temp operation or under pressure?

kudapucat
12-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Personally I don't really sorry, but some folk believe it can add plasticy flavours, or leech human hormone analogs.

oldhead
12-16-2014, 05:14 PM
I stopped and bought the tubing. It was only 5 dollars. I figured, what the heck might as well get the proper stuff.

kudapucat
12-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Personally I don't really sorry, but some folk believe it can add plasticy flavours, or leech human hormone analogs.

Personally I don't really WORRY.
stupid autocorrect.

EJM3
12-17-2014, 06:23 PM
+1 on that keep the D47 yeast cool. I have a batch of mel that after ~10 months now is still hot, solvent, and rocket fuelish. Needs at least another 6mo to 1yr.

Medsen Fey
12-28-2014, 09:17 PM
If you can't keep the temp below 70F, pick another yeast.

EJM3
12-29-2014, 04:08 PM
If you are trying to get the yeast to stop and leave you residuals that is pretty hard to do. If I want sweet (other than JAOM) it ends up dry, wanty dry end up with Sahara or syrup. I'm going to make the lateral move (on some of my ferments) from trying to get this right by: adding up front or step feeding. To: ferment dry, stabilize, backsweeten, add super kleer, bottle... I am tired of chasing hydrometers all over trying to get my ferments to finish where I want not where the yeastie beasties want. Not all of mine will be with chems as I have friends who cannot drink my products containing them... IME YMMV