• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

new noob here

Barrel Char Wood Products

oldhead

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
new jersey
Hi everyone, just joined and have been browsing for info. I have made wine for afew years and decided I would like to try mead after tasting it. I can't find this newbie guide anywhere and the one link I came across didn't work. Todat I bought my honey,yeast (lalavin d47) since I like sweet, energizer, nutrients, sanitizer, and a racking siphon. A few more odds and ends and I will get to brewing.

oldhead

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
new jersey
I have a small 8x6 room in the basement that stays cool. And the bigger section outside of that room has a vent. I'll check the temperature of both before I start. As for the side of the forum, I can't see it on the tablet so I' ll look when I get on the computer.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Yeah. That's my issue. Hence the vague directions ;-)

Even with a cool basement, yeast make heat. Be ready with an old tee-shirt to put over it and wet, or sit in in another bucket to which you can add ice water.
That yeast goes funky over 19°C

oldhead

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
new jersey
I found the pdf guide. Did a little reading last night and saw that it recommended that the racking tubing be food grade. Being in hvac we use 3/8 tubing but it is vinyl. Is there a problem with this since racking isn't a high temp operation or under pressure?

oldhead

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
new jersey
I stopped and bought the tubing. It was only 5 dollars. I figured, what the heck might as well get the proper stuff.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
If you are trying to get the yeast to stop and leave you residuals that is pretty hard to do. If I want sweet (other than JAOM) it ends up dry, wanty dry end up with Sahara or syrup. I'm going to make the lateral move (on some of my ferments) from trying to get this right by: adding up front or step feeding. To: ferment dry, stabilize, backsweeten, add super kleer, bottle... I am tired of chasing hydrometers all over trying to get my ferments to finish where I want not where the yeastie beasties want. Not all of mine will be with chems as I have friends who cannot drink my products containing them... IME YMMV

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns