• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clearing/filtering peach melomel.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jezter

NewBee
Registered Member
I have a small issue with my peAch melomel. I bought the peaches months ago and at the time I peeled and puréed it and froze them in ice cream Pails.

I brewed about 6.5 gallons I always like to do a bit extra.

So the problem is I have 1.5 gallons of extremely milky pulp in it. I am skeptical it will clear. I tried simply filtering some with very thin cheesecloth or a dish cloth and it didn't work at all. Just plugged up.

So could some fining or cleaning agents work on this? Anyone have pAst experience with something like this?

My dad has a pump/filter but this slurry muck I'm sure would plug anything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zapped

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2014
When I did my pumpkin mead my son and I strained through a sterilized cotton t-shirt but it was a hot mess. We had to continually scrape away the puree with a spoon so it would drain.

We then dumped the puree into another container.

Took forever but we eventually got it done.

Good luck.

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
My funnel has a fairly fine filter which gets clogged a lot with peaches or other fruit prone to disintegration, when that happens I usually have to constantly scrape the filter with a spoon just to keep liquid moving through it. It's not great but it works, slowly.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Perhaps just running through a fine sieve in batches? Add a bunch of Camden tablets to it to help prevent oxidation.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

Jezter

NewBee
Registered Member
Yeah I may try something else like that again, cloth or sieve but keep spooning out the pulp. I will definitely never do this again and I will always use a hop bag or something.

It least the main 5g Carboy is ok but the 1g and half 1g Carboy I have leftover are mostly full of sludge. I just don't want to lose it!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Will bentonite bind and aid in the settling of the purée? Literally they are 2/3 full of pulp.

I don't know, but my thinking is not really. Fining agents are really for getting microscopic particles out of suspension so I don't know how effective it will be for already large fruit particles.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I have tried those and you end up oxidizing and changing them every other cup full, they are not meant to handle that kind of filtering. More like a basket/filter to run water through and make an extract like coffee that has relatively large particles so that the liquid (water) extracts the wanted compounds into liquid form that easily pass through the basket/filter leaving behind the unwanted and spent substances...

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
Try wetting them first, and don't use the white ones, use the natural ones, usually brown paper ones. I use them frequently when I filter my infusions with good results. I also use un-colored paper towels on occasion with no impact on taste. Other than that, use cheesecloth or natural muslin.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I made a batch with mango and it was very similar. I think your best bet is to cold crash it. You can get the clearish stuff off the top. Then put the rest into tall, slender bottle and continue to cold crash and keep getting what you can off the top. The more slender bottle you can go the better. I'm pretty sure you will still lose a lot

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns