PDA

View Full Version : Moving Mead?

brentG
12-25-2014, 01:50 PM
My wife and I just bought a house, and I have half a dozen carboys bulk aging in my closet. Is there a good way to move them? Will it hurt anything if they get shaken up on the drive?

joemirando
12-25-2014, 01:56 PM
My wife and I just bought a house, and I have half a dozen carboys bulk aging in my closet. Is there a good way to move them? Will it hurt anything if they get shaken up on the drive?

You have more to worry about from them tipping over than actual damage from being jostled around. I am assuming that, since you said you have half a dozen in the closet, that they're gallon jugs. As long as they are capped or airlocked, the only issue I can see is the extra time to let them settle and clear again. For anything more than a short drive, I would recommend capping them, then fitting airlocks (if that was their original state) again once they reach their destination.

Congratulations on the house! Welcome to real estate based debt! ;)

Happy Holidays,
Joe

kudapucat
12-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Use packing, seatbelts, boxes, and careful driving. You'll be fine. Unless the carboys have sediment. If there's sediment, I advise you rack prior to shipping.

skunkboy
12-26-2014, 01:38 AM
They will just get stirred up again, and then have to settle down again. If you have the gallon jugs and get can an empty box or two from a LHBS that could make moving them slightly easier... if larger ones, then milk crates...

brentG
12-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Alrighty. There's a six gallon, a five gallon, a three gallon, and some one gallons. They all have settlement. I don't mind waiting the extra time to let settle (some are with wine yeast and are only a few months in to the year). I didn't know if I should cap or not, or if mixing the settlement will ruin anything.
I'm liking the seat belt idea. The wife can ride in the back... ;)