PDA

View Full Version : Hazelnut spiced mead

bloodaxeberserk
12-27-2014, 12:59 PM
So because of the holidays I have a bunch of leftover hazelnuts and also because I found some wildflower honey at my local farmers market store on clearance (the supplier went out of business and the product was discontinued) I am thinking about making a batch of mead with Hazelnuts.

I do not know how else to go about this the only other mead I have made was a JAOM so I am not sure what other ingredients to use and if I need any nutrients to add to the mead.

Thoughts? Opinions?

fatbloke
12-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Yeah, blitz the nuts after a light roast and bake with them.

Nuts are known for the difficulty of extracting enough flavour while not having any issues from the oils.

It's got to be doable, but it's likely you'd need a specific type of them (the almonds used in amaretto aren't the regular baking ones etc).......

Medsen Fey
12-28-2014, 11:38 AM
After you roast the nuts a little, you can soak them in some vodka for a few weeks. That will give you a hazelnut extract that you can add to taste.

bloodaxeberserk
12-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the advice!

joemirando
12-28-2014, 06:49 PM
After you roast the nuts a little, you can soak them in some vodka for a few weeks. That will give you a hazelnut extract that you can add to taste.

It will also give you an idea of IF it's going to work. If not, you'll have wasted some hazelnuts and some vodka, but not precious mead!

Matrix4b
12-31-2014, 02:28 PM
I agree with the Hazelnut Extract. I made a Vanilla Hazelnut Mead and it turned out awesome. I made an extract with 2 pounds of Hazelnuts and put in that extract to the secondary. This was a 5 gal batch. I would let it extract for the 2 months in the vodka, or I used white rum (something 35% to 40% ABV) and it breaks down the oils a bit and leaves the flavors. For Almonds, you are not really going to get a good Almond Extract (I have tried) unless you use bitter almonds not sweet almonds. Bitter Almonds cannot be purchased in the USA as they contain to much cyanide for the FDA as a handful is enough to be poisonous. Also for Ameretto: It's made from Apricot Kernels (A cousin of the Almond) and that is where it gets its fruity taste. So if you have Apricots then save the pits, crack it open with a nut cracker and extract the same as you would the Hazelnuts. The kernel looks like a heart shaped almond. I like to take the nuts and let it go through a rough grind on a coffee grinder to have more contact. When It comes time to remove the nuts I do need to use a couple of coffee filters and squeeze it a bit as the grounds are a bit spongy.

Matrix

bloodaxeberserk
12-31-2014, 09:53 PM
I agree with the Hazelnut Extract. I made a Vanilla Hazelnut Mead and it turned out awesome. I made an extract with 2 pounds of Hazelnuts and put in that extract to the secondary. This was a 5 gal batch. I would let it extract for the 2 months in the vodka, or I used white rum (something 35% to 40% ABV) and it breaks down the oils a bit and leaves the flavors. For Almonds, you are not really going to get a good Almond Extract (I have tried) unless you use bitter almonds not sweet almonds. Bitter Almonds cannot be purchased in the USA as they contain to much cyanide for the FDA as a handful is enough to be poisonous. Also for Ameretto: It's made from Apricot Kernels (A cousin of the Almond) and that is where it gets its fruity taste. So if you have Apricots then save the pits, crack it open with a nut cracker and extract the same as you would the Hazelnuts. The kernel looks like a heart shaped almond. I like to take the nuts and let it go through a rough grind on a coffee grinder to have more contact. When It comes time to remove the nuts I do need to use a couple of coffee filters and squeeze it a bit as the grounds are a bit spongy.

Matrix

I have started the mead already and at the moment am soaking the Hazelnuts in Bourbon (personal preference) I will add the extract later. Do you think I should wait two months and just add it in then?

Medsen Fey
12-31-2014, 10:12 PM
That's as good a time as any.