• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Flavor tweeks?????

Barrel Char Wood Products

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Hi

So I have several batches (20) gallons or so, of different things. All of them are fairly close to the same age/progress as I only started a few months back. I read where things move like a co-sign as a mead ages. I have also been reading like crazy how to make different adjustments to counter balance differences.

I am unsure if I need to be doing much at this point. I feel an urge to. But I suspect that is my impatience manifesting it's self. I have to constantly tell my self to take it easy. A few days, weeks, even months doesn't really matter in the time frame we're dealing with. I think maybe I feel I need to start doing something because I don't want to wait for ever for it to start to clear and then muck things up by adding clouds into the process.

Do you have a general rule of thumb as to when/how you start moving towards a finished product?

Just so you know. All my things are at a point where all of the gross lees are gone. Some things have a fine dust left in the carboys right now. Some of the ones that were made with 71B I have racked a few more times more than my BOMMs because I read that yeast is not one to sit on.

In general most of everything I think is ok, or even pretty good. As far as my newbee noise/mouth can tell. Mostly I still have things that are way to tart. Tart cherries, raspberries, mango ect. And then some are a bit too sweet. And a cyser that I'm not even really sure what it should taste like. Right now it's wayyyyy to clovey.

Any way. It would be nice to hear from you guys /gals that have been at it a while.

Thanks

Ryan

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
I am unsure if I need to be doing much at this point. I feel an urge to.

When this happens to me, I end up buying a new carboy. Then I get in trouble from the wife, sit on it for a few days, think about what to make; once the storm passes I buy the honey, get in trouble again, sit on it for a few more days... Making a batch has turned into a lengthy process for me, but that helps pass the time.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
For me, I start thinking about tweaks after about 6 months or more, and after things have cleared. Then I get a better idea of what I have, and can decide if adding acids, or oak, or blending, or backsweetening, or whatever, may be beneficial. You can test each of these things a glass at a time to see what gets you closer to your goal. As a newer mead-crafter, you may not be certain about your goal. My advice is trust your palate - when it tastes better, it is better, and you'll know when it tastes better.

Good meading!
Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns