• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bottling cloudy mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
I made my first batch of mead a year ago today. It wasn't made properly by any means, but it turned out pretty tasty. Before I get into my problem, I'll post my "recipe" (which I got from YouTube before I found this site):

15 lbs. mesquite honey
5 oranges, a handful of raisins
5 gal distilled water
1 packet D47

I mixed in bucket, let sit for a month, racked off the gross lees, racked again three months later, racked again three months later.

Like I said, I know now about things like nutrients and sugar breaks and whatnot, but this was what ended up happening.

So, because I stored it in a crawlspace far, far away, my handling time is very limited (I'm taking the carboy back home with me).
We got here for Christmas break on Tuesday and it was crystal clear (I could read a book through it). It was at 1.005, so I stabilized with sorbate and sulphate. I moved it to a counter so I could let it settle and bottle, but the problem is it is still cloudy. It's been about 4 days now, and I still can't see my hand through it.
The main problem is we're going back home tomorrow morning, so it kinda has to be bottled tonight, or I'll have to wait another 4-5 months (and we already made the labels).
I don't have the means to cold crash, or I would have tried that. Is there anything else I can do to clear this? Should I just bottle it? It's bothering me a lot because of how clear it was.
There are also a lot of bubbles floating to the top, still, even after stabilizing.

Thanks again in advance.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Just de-gas it, stopper the carboy and take.it home "as is". You can bottle it at home later.

You will have removed enough gas so any vehicle movement shouldn't nucleate out any more gas, so just pack securely and check it every now and then.

If that's not feasible, just put it back, stabilised, then bottle it next time.

IMO, there's nothing worse than ugly looking booze. Unappealing to look at and can affect the flavour with the dead yeast that gets resuspended when serving........

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
It's definitely worth getting it clear for drinking. Bottling it and letting it sit is one option, though you have to be VERY careful when opening and pouring to make sure you don't re-suspend the yeast again if you do that. Fatbloke's advice is probably better, but if that's not an option this could be a backup plan.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
You other option is to do filtering, but that requires a bit of equipment. If you have a brew-on premises place nearby, they will usually allow you to use their equipment for a modest fee.

Otherwise, let it clear again. I'm not sure how you got it cloudy when stabilizing it, as usually you rack the clear stuff, and then add the stabilizers, but regardless, it will clear again, and usually quickly. Although lees aging with D47 is OK, a bottle full of yeast sediment will add unwanted bitterness.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the replies.
No brew stores nearby, and I didn't bring another carboy to rack into. In retrospect I did this all wrong, but at least I learned a lot.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns