PDA

View Full Version : First Batch - May have issues?

A_Crow
12-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Hello all,

I started making my first mead on 12/16/14 and I think I made a rookie mistake (at least one I know of) right off the bat because I didn't use my hydrometer to get a starting SG. I brought 2 gallons of water and 12.5 pounds of honey to 160 degrees for 20 mins, then put it in a glass carboy, topped up with cold distilled water, stirred the heck out of it, and used an ice bath to bring down to about 74 degrees. I rehydrated my yeast according to the package for 15 mins starting with 100 degree water. Then I added it to the honey & water and then stirred again. I installed a rubber bung with an air lock and placed in a dark room that was between 68-70 degrees constantly. After a day I could see little bubbles going up the side of the carboy and they haven't stopped. Today (12/30/14) I pulled a sample, it smelled good, and it looked like champagne with a SG of 1.058.

Receipe was simple:
12.5lbs - Clover Honey
1 Packet - EC-1118 Lavin Yeast
5 Gallons - Distilled Water

Am I on track or should i be farther along two weeks in? I bought yeast nutrient but I never used it, should I have put 6 teaspoons (bottle says one tsp per gallon) of that in at the beginning?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Medsen Fey
12-30-2014, 08:39 PM
You should be done. Your yeast are hungry and tired. Please take pity on them. If your nutrient looks like tannish colored powder, adding it will be very helpful. If it looks like white crystals, it won't be as good and I'd add a lot less (like as much)

A_Crow
12-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Thank you! I have white crystals - Yeast Nutrient (Contains food grade UREA and Diammonium Phosphate) LD Carlson Company. Should I mix it in or just toss it in?

Medsen Fey
12-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Late in fermentation, the yeast cannot assimilate DAP effectively, but adding 1 or 2 tbsp won't hurt. If you can't quickly get some Fermaid O, you can take a couple of packets of bread yeast and drop them into some boiling water then add them in to the must.

A_Crow
12-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Late in fermentation, the yeast cannot assimilate DAP effectively, but adding 1 or 2 tbsp won't hurt. If you can't quickly get some Fermaid O, you can take a couple of packets of bread yeast and drop them into some boiling water then add them in to the must.

I added a tablespoon and didn't have to worry about stirring. It went off like a volcano science experiment.

Is that normal?

Squatchy
12-30-2014, 10:44 PM
When you add dry powders you need to mix it in a sanitized dish/cup with some must and then stir it in gently a little at a time. Also, if you degass your must before you add your slurry that will also help by degassing your must.

I read in your OP another thing that I think was a major mistake. You did well by making your rehydration water 100 degrees. But, you then pitched it into 74 degrees must. You killed tons of your yeast when you did that and probably wounded the remaining yeast. You need to bring your Yeast slurry to within 10 degrees of the temperature of your must, by gradually a small portion of must to your slurry every 15 minutes untill you are within 10 degrees. If you do that you won't shock the hell out of them by tossing them into much coolder must. Think of diving into a hole in a frozen lake. If you had done that your little guys would not have been killed/crippled and your ferment would have been over a good while back

Squatchy
12-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Is that normal?[/QUOTE]

You have now officially entered into the dark side :)

Squatchy
12-30-2014, 10:51 PM
You will do good to study "stagered nutrient additions" (SNA). Rehydration protocols for dry yeast. Aration/degassing. You will also do well to understand "cap management" when you want to add fruits to your mead.

Here is a very good link that covers most, if not all, of the above. There are many in this forum but I don't have quick acces to them like I did to the Hightest info

Squatchy
12-31-2014, 07:57 PM
here's the link

http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/