• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

When cooking down honey....

Barrel Char Wood Products

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
In that case skip the skimming the foam, when it cools you can filther out the chunks of proteins. Did you read all the warnings about the honey foaming up etc especially when you add water back and it likes to try to explode out of the pan? WVMJ

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I did a slow steady heating on med with a constant stir. Prob for 90+ mins. I waited a bit too long before skimming it started to stick together but I skimmed off most of the foam. I didn't reintroduce water till the honey was "touchable". This is a before and after of the wildflower honey.

image.jpg

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Why do people skim off the foam if you're going to ferment it (and hence create MORE foam) anyway? If you're bottling it, sure, foam looks nasty, but if you're fermenting it? Even the old boil-your-honey mead recipes I have read always say to skim off the foam. I never saw the point (well, unless it's full of beeswax, but normal filtered honey still makes harmless foam)... if it's an impurity, it'll settle out with everything else after fermentation...

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
In the olden olden days wax, bee parts, skep fuzz, the impurities float to the top and are skimmed off, just like making good stock you skim the junk off of the top. When we did a Bochet we didnt skim, most of the proteins coagulated and chunked up so they were easy to remove. There is boiling your honey to make a regular mead and then burning it to make a Bochet, two different things we seem to be talking about. WVMJ

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Right and I wonder if I really burnt the honey as much as I could have. After an hour and half in the kitchen my gf was rdy for me to be out of it.

Crowing

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Groton, Connecticut
I'm way too new to worry about a bochet currently, but it's high on my list.
I would have definitely taken it much further down, your finished product there post-boil looks like the local wildflower honey I get so I would want to get mine much darker

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
After an hour and a half in the kitchen I would need to get me out! I'd like to try a small scale bochet, but the time cooking it seems more than I can handle...

Did you get some caramel/toffee/marshmallow like flavors out of it??

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I only had it on med for 90 mins, wonder how much longer I could have gone if I wasn't kicked outa the kitchen. Was afraid to put it on high and have it boil over. Do you actually burn burn it?

Dragonheart

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2014
Bay City, MI
do you typically use more honey when cooking it down for a bochet? Since your losing some honey im assuming. Like lets say you need 3 1/2 lbs but if your cooking it down, would you up to maybe 4lbs?

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I only had it on med for 90 mins, wonder how much longer I could have gone if I wasn't kicked outa the kitchen. Was afraid to put it on high and have it boil over. Do you actually burn burn it?

Just like any sugar mixture you can burn burn it, to the point of having a very unhappy SWMBO sending you out to but another pot.

do you typically use more honey when cooking it down for a bochet? Since you're losing some honey im assuming. Like lets say you need 3 1/2 lbs but if your cooking it down, would you up to maybe 4lbs?

I would have to say no because you still have the same amount of sugars present, just different types of them now. Any volumetric differences would be due to water loss in the honey on it's way to becoming highly camelized. The lost water would be added back when you have to dilute it back down to make the must.

I used to make candy with my mother so learned a bit about making candies and mistakes (had to buy a new pot once due to lack of attention for a couple of minutes).

Dragonheart

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 15, 2014
Bay City, MI
hmm ok, thanks. Was just wondering about that. Will be a little bit before I try one, but just something I was wondering while doing some reading on recipes and such.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns