PDA

View Full Version : Got one in the oven finally

JDWebb
01-06-2015, 12:52 AM
First, I need to thank Vicky for her help with this forum thing I was having trouble with. I found this site extremely useful and hated to leave it when I was having issues.

Now, I have jumped head first into the deep dark caverns of mead making (and cider), and have started two. One is the Joe's, strictly following his recipe, using his option for allspice and nutmeg (I have learned to HATE cinnamon), all in a 1 gallon jug slowly churning away. It seems to be in the slow lane, but I do see activity, and enjoy sitting and watching the bubbler bubble.

Now, I got brave and put together a 5 gallon batch that my wife is somewhat sceptical about I told her not to worry, it was for the government), and it consists of the following,

15 pounds of pure orange blossom honey
5 oranges zested and juiced
8 oz of bee pollen
1 1/2 tsp Superfood nutrient (called for 3 tsp, but I did add the bee pollen)
D47 ry-hydro'd with 4 tsp re-hydro nutrient for 20 min
spring water to just over 5 gallons (anticipated sediment)
SG at about 1.111
ABV at about 14% (I'm looking for a high alcohol content)
Everything went together at room temp (about 78)

No activity on the airlock yet, but I do have a 7 gallon fermenter its sitting in, so there's a lot of airspace above the mead to fill with gas I'm sure. Not too worried, but the question would be, at what point in time should I be worried not seeing anything on the bubble? Or is my recipe a real science project?!

All this at 3:30 this afternoon.

Squatchy
01-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Did you rehydrate your yeast at 104ish? And then, did you atemperate your yeast down to your 78 degree "room Temp" before you pitched? Lastly you need to bring that temp down to 66-68.

Read here about rehydro/ and staggered feeding http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/. there are other places here as well, I just don't have them right at my finger tips like I do the link I provided. Also Look for Loveofrose thread "New article is up" or something very similar

JDWebb
01-06-2015, 01:53 AM
Yes, was actually right at 100, rehydrate looked good, I mean it was all foamy looking, similar to what I see when I rehydrate my bread yeast for my breads, looked OK to me. And yes, pitch temp was the same as room temp.

Medsen Fey
01-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Everything sounds good except your temp. D47 will produce paint thinner unless you quickly get the temp down to 72F or lower. A swamp cooler can drop it enough (if you don't live in the tropics).

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Crowing
01-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Does your fermenter have a gasket? Dumb question, but mine doesn't so I rarely ever see airlock activity in it. I wouldn't worry about airlocks in plastic primaries, just check SG to see if its chugging along. You'll hear and see it if its fermenting anyway.

mannye
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Everything sounds good except your temp. D47 will produce paint thinner unless you quickly get the temp down to 72F or lower. A swamp cooler can drop it enough (if you don't live in the tropics).

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Why do they call them swamp coolers if they don't work in the swamp? (Pssssst....don't tell the Miami folks they live in a swamp... they will cry on the seal leather in the Lambo)

Is there any cure for too much fusel created by overheated fermentation? I know time is one, but is there a point where you've got to say, "To the distillery, Robin!" ? I had to think about the punctuation on that one, but I don't have time to figure out the correct way of doing that.

JDWebb
01-06-2015, 12:31 PM
OK, so I made a starter after rehydrating another shot of D47. This time I introduced some mead slowly, over about an hour. It started foaming like crazy, I could hear them screaming, "give us more, more candy"...so I said OK, here and tossed them into the batch. After quickly disappearing into the dark colored must, I didn't hear another thing from them until I got up this morning. Holy crap, they're having one wild party,because the airlock is churning away like crazy! I made sure the temps were the same, introducing the mead a shot glass at a time until they were happy. We're going good now, but thanks for the info, thats what I'm here for!

brentG
01-06-2015, 12:50 PM
"To the distillery, Robin!" ? I had to think about the punctuation on that one, but I don't have time to figure out the correct way of doing that.
You have it right, other than the space between the question mark and the quotation mark.

EJM3
01-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I think that's how a lot of Hispanic people do their questions, lead off with the question mark, usually an upside down one if I remember right.. Oh well, sloshed in translation (GREAT show BTW) I guess...

mannye
01-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I think that's how a lot of Hispanic people do their questions, lead off with the question mark, usually an upside down one if I remember right.. Oh well, sloshed in translation (GREAT show BTW) I guess...

LOL I would hope they only do that in Spanish.

brentG
01-06-2015, 08:03 PM
En serio?

mannye
01-07-2015, 07:32 AM
En serio?

How do you get the upside down ??

JDWebb
01-07-2015, 10:15 AM
On your keyboard - ALT 0191

brentG
01-07-2015, 10:51 AM
On a Mac it's alt, shift, question mark.