View Full Version : Angel's Share in Glass?

01-07-2015, 08:10 PM
My first ever batch has been sitting in a one gallon jug for just over six weeks now, and the fluid level has definitely dropped. The bung is in there solidly and I can't see how it wouldn't be airtight, so is it normal for mead to evaporate in "bung'd" sealed glass?

Side note, why can't I post images of ANY filesize?

Medsen Fey
01-07-2015, 09:23 PM
The level should only drop due to sampling; 2-legged cellar rats maybe?

01-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Maybe he's looking at the krausen line?

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
U g

01-08-2015, 09:36 PM
The temperature has dropped quite a bit since its been down there, maybe that has something to do with it. It was most definitely higher originally, no foam or anything.

01-09-2015, 12:22 AM
The bung is in solidly and the airlock has fluid in it?

01-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah I can't detect any gaps in the bung and the s lock is full of vodka

01-09-2015, 05:32 PM
There can be problems with the airlock being seated into the bung. I had some S bend airlocks that would not seal, so I eventually filed off the ridge of plastic then gently flame polishing then smooth. There is sometimes an excessive ridge from the manufacturing process that interferes with a good seal and that has had to be removed in my case. So now I routinely do that for all of mine, the cylinder airlocks do not have that ridge on them BTW, but are not what I want for long term bulk aging...

Chevette Girl
01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
How much of a difference are we talking?

If your temperature has gone down a lot, that could account for some drop in level, but I wouldn't expect more than 1/4" to 1/2" of difference on a 1-gal batch (this is my gut feeling, I'm WAY too lazy to go do the math, but if you look up water/ethanol volumes versus temperature, it might give you an idea how much expansion/contraction you could expect for the temperature range you have, rather than trusting to my out-of-the-air estimation).

I sometimes get in the neighbourhood of an inch difference in the neck of a 5-6 gal batch. I usually leave at least an inch between the level and the bottom of the stopper and a few times in summer I've had mead get up the tube and into the airlock because the level went up that much from temperature expansion.

01-09-2015, 08:49 PM
It's about 1/3 - 1/2 difference. I have pictures if I could just upload them. Maybe the amount of co2 that has since escaped accounts for some of the difference.

Chevette Girl
01-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Sometimes if you load the photos as an attachment it can work, I just slap 'em up on Facebook and copy the URL from there.