PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon mead

Xixist
01-07-2015, 08:15 PM
My new mead batch is a cinnamon spiced mead capped off with apple juice. I started with 15 lbs. of wild honey in 4 gal. of water. To this I added a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon and champagne yeast. I plan on adding 1 gal. of apple juice at the end of fermentation. So far the batch is quite light in color and much of the spice is caught up in the small foam cap. I expected a redder tint and a strong cinnamon flavor but ended up with this blond concoction. Any hints on how to extract more spice tones into the mead? Thanx, Xixist

Crowing
01-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Fresh spices and more time to steep I'd say. I've had my first batch on a medium sized cinnamon stick for 6 weeks now and haven't even tasted it, but I think the 7 week mark will have imparted plenty of cinnamon to it.

Xixist
01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Many thanx Crowing...I almost forgot the most important ingredient...time.

EJM3
01-09-2015, 06:04 PM
One of the more difficult ingredients to deal with as well.

Mikeymu
04-17-2015, 04:28 PM
If it is any help to you I rrecently finished a 1 gallon batch of cinnamon cyser and used about 3 litres of apple juice, 2.5 lbs of honey and filled up the rest of the 5 litre carboy with water. I found that half of a stick of cinnamon with this amount of juice turned out about right as there is a balance between the apple and cinammon flavours now - although the spice was in there for around 4 weeks.

Thing is, I tasted at weekly intervals until the spicing levels were what I liked - only tasting small amounts though!!