View Full Version : Hi and need help with equipment

01-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Firstly, HI.

I am loving this forum already from all that I have read.

Could someone post a link to a good basic equipment kit I will need to make my own mead?

I would like everything to get me on my way in terms of equipment.

01-08-2015, 09:44 AM
What size batch? What recipe? If you wanted to make Joe's ancient orange then your "kit" is a jug with bung/airlock, and siphon if you want you be fancy. Otherwise just find a local brew shop and pickup the stuff listed in the newbee guide.

01-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I started with just a basic 1 gallon beer brewing kit from my LHBS, and that got me going. You can do a BOMM or JAOM in just a plastic 1 gallon water jug with a balloon from the grocery store if you want to. On the other hand, there always seems to be Just One More Thing I want to try out some new technique or make something easier.

01-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Two more considerations: how long do you want to wait for your first batch, and how much can you afford to spend on the hobby?

If you want to drink your first mead as fast as possible, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/6885-Joe-Mattioli-s-Foolproof-Ancient-Orange-Clove-and-Cinnamon-Mead?highlight=joe%27s+ancient+orange) (aka JAOM) seems to satisfy. BOMM = Bray's One Month Mead (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22295-Bray-s-One-Month-Mead-aka-the-quot-BOMM-quot-1-gallon?highlight=bray%27s+month), also a staple for quick-to-drink recipes.

If your finances are limited, there are plenty of ways to scrounge together the equipment for a 1-gallon brewing setup, mostly for free. The key ingredient for your mead is the honey. Get good, local honey for your brew. A five-gallon batch can use up to 18 pounds of the stuff; at $5-$8/lb, this could end up being the most expensive part of your brewing experience. (A one-gallon batch uses around three pounds.)

01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Yes and do you have a LHBS (local homebrewing store) or you getting everything online?