PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Corks

McJeff
01-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Personally ive always just grabbed what ever the LHBS had on the shelf and slammed em into the bottle with out a second thought. After reading about cork taint last night im totally questioning what im doing and using. Synthetic corks instantly came to mind but i read they are only good for about 4 years till their seal goes. Ill prob just end up buy some "top notch" normal corks for the few bottles i age long term and the rest just use synthetic. Curious what other peoples thoughts are and what you guys use?

another question is there a special cork prep, i read some guys soak their corks first? why?

BlueBomber
01-10-2015, 11:47 AM
I've only recently begun corking mead myself, but so far just the generic 100 ct corks for 13-14 bucks is what I've been using. I've never heard of Cork Taint and will definitely look it up. As for soaking the corks, well, that's a thought that kind of scares me. I'm not sure what it accomplishes and I just envision all that water being rung out into the bottle as the cork is squeezed into its new home. Personally, I think soaking and boiling corks is an older method that isn't required today.

McJeff
01-10-2015, 12:51 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_taint

skunkboy
01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
'Corked Wine' is another term for the same thing I think, it is getting rarer as they do a better job with creating the corks, but I've had a commercial mead which was cork tainted...

McJeff
01-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Is there a synthetic yet for long term aging? Is there a best of both worlds?

Medsen Fey
01-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Is there a synthetic yet for long term aging? Is there a best of both worlds?
Not that I'm aware of; except crown caps. The newer synthetic corks may be better but I haven't seen data showing it yet. However there may be data I haven't reviewed.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

brentG
01-14-2015, 11:46 PM
What about bottling with synthetic then using wax?

Medsen Fey
01-15-2015, 12:17 AM
That might work, but there aren't studies proving it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT