PDA

View Full Version : Petiilant or still

ScottBehrens
01-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Bottling day for the Domras Cup. Got a mel that I had stored under CO2 for quite a while before I recently changed over to nitrogen. It was pretty highly carbed a few months ago but has tamed down under the nitrogen. When I fill a bottle there is a bit of foam at the neck, about a half inch, indicates to me its still a little carbed, but swirled in a sample glass there's zero bubbles. How bad would an entry get dinged entered as pettilant if its still and vice versa? Which is worse?

skunkboy
01-10-2015, 06:44 PM
If they are using the BJCP score sheets maybe 3 points out of 50 ...
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_MeadScoreSheet.pdf

I think I've seen a new score sheet but I can't seem to find it right now...

Medsen Fey
01-10-2015, 07:35 PM
You can get that kind of bubbling with nitrogen, but it clears out within minutes leaving things still. The nitrogen rapidly degassing will give the aroma a big boost in my experience.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

christo
01-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Remember that even a still mead can have a few bubbles. At worst all I can see is a 1 point difference in appearance (though I think the bubbles you describe will suffice there for pettilant) and maybe in mouthfeel under flavor would be a spot for a point if you weren't getting a slight carbonic bite I'd be more concerned with if you were needing the carbonation to help with balancing the sweetness a bit than carb level.

In the end, based on the amount of bubbles you describe, I'd go pettilant.

ScottBehrens
01-11-2015, 05:07 AM
I was bottling several 750 ml. I normally keep the nitrogen disconnected after filling the headspace and then use only as needed. All kegs were topped with gas at the same pressure setting right before filling, but this mel keg dispensed like double the flow rate of the others. But it wasn't the large bubbles you might get just from agitation, it was carbonation bubbles. Thought it was strange that I got nothing in the sample glass. Must be the N dissipated. Since this contest they serve the judges poured glasses I'll have to taste it fresh today and see if its evident on the tongue. Bottling days exact a heavy toll when you've only got one dispense tap. I call it 'cleaning out the line'.

Thank you for the replies.