PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar, or just sour?

aqparks
01-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Hello. This is my first time posting and my first batch of mead!

I have a batch of blueberry and wildflower honey mead that I made. Here are the ingredients I used:
Quantity Item
1 Draperbee.com Wildflower Honey - 11.5lb
1 Vinter's Harvest Blueberry Puree - 49oz
1 Primo purified water - 5 gallons
1 ICV D-47 Lalvin Wine Yeast
2.5 LD Carlson Yeast Energizer - 1 tsp

Starting
Date: 12/24/2014
Gravity: 1.076
Temperature: 70 F
PH: 3.0

1st Racking
Date: 1/18/2015
Gravity: 1.000
Temperature: 68 F
PH: 2.4

I mixed the honey, water, blueberry puree, and yeast energizer in a 6 gallon bucket for about 7 minutes. I then poured the must into a 5ga carboy until it was full and then pour the leftover into a 1ga jug. I re-hydrated the yeast for about 15min in 2oz of room temperature purified water. I then pitched the yeast into the carboy, and then added another packet of yeast into the gallon jug for S&Gs. I installed the airlock right away and stuck it in a corner. I kept the temperature of the carboy around 68 degrees using a heat wrap and thermal sensor. The airlock stopped bubbling a few days ago, and I transferred the mead to secondary fermentation yesterday. I smelled and tasted the mead it is was vinegary/sour/puckering tasting. I'm not a wine enthusiast, and I don't have a great taste for specific ingredients, so I'm not exactly sure if I'm tasting vinegar or just sour blueberry.

Any suggestions on how to make this mead better will be greatly appreciated. I have it sitting in a 5ga carboy right now with an airlock on it. Fermentation has completely stopped. Airlock is not moving and gravity is damn near 1.000 (as best as I can call it). Thanks!

Medsen Fey
01-20-2015, 12:25 AM
You are probably tasting the sour of young blueberry mead (dry). That low pH will make it quite sharp. Let it age and clear a bit, then stabilize with sorbate + sulfite, and try sweetening a cup a little at a time. You're likely to find a bit of sweetening balances it nicely.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

mgomez
01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
You are probably tasting the sour of young blueberry mead (dry). That low pH will make it quite sharp. Let it age and clear a bit, then stabilize with sorbate + sulfite, and try sweetening a cup a little at a time. You're likely to find a bit of sweetening balances it nicely.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

I second this. I'm currently making a mead with black currant juice as an experiment on my spare fermenter. It's so sour, it makes my nose curl up, but that's what I was trying to achieve. Black currant and blueberries have natural chemicals in them that give them this kind of taste. Just pour some potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite, wait a few days, then add some more honey or other sweetening agents to backsweeten it ever-so-slightly. You may need to age it a while longer than usual, depending on the circumstances with which it has been fermented (staggered nutrient additions, etc.), but it will end up tasting awesome in my book :D

aqparks
01-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Can you please explain what these chemicals do an how much I should add? potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite