• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermentation experiment

Barrel Char Wood Products

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
OK, so this doesn't qualify as a mead since I'm not using honey. Not even sure if it qualifies as a cyser because there's no honey, and it may not even qualify as a cider. What it does qualify as, is some kind of fermented concoction using a half gallon of fresh, juiced apple juice and some raw, pure, unprocessed-nothing-added-no-sugar black currant juice I need to get rid of. As far as the fermentable sugars, I plan to add just plain old brown sugar, enough to get a decent SG to around 1.090 or so. Not looking for a high alcohol content, but looking for a mildly sweet drink.

Two questions, actually three. First, what does this qualify as? Second, do I need to campden tablet the apple juice first if..(I was going to boil it and reduce it down a bit, concentrate the flavor some, does that count?). And third, I have D47, 1118, and a pack and a half of Cote des Blancs, does one of those sound better than any other?

Or should I go back to carpentry school?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
It will be a currant apple wine. Shocking! ;)

It will probably need to be more than a little sweet to balance the acidity added by the currants. Cote des Blancs could be really nice, and D47 would also be good. 71B could get rid of some of the acid.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
So I should put like 11 cups of sugar in it then.
I think I'll try the Cote des Blanc, right now I have a bit more apple than black currant, so I was thinking of making a 1:1 simple syrup to use as additional sugar if I need it, and maybe start out with 1 cup. I'll do hydro readings until I get it to where I want it.

JDWebb

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 26, 2014
Sherman Oaks, CA
www.jamesdwebb.com
It tastes like last weeks soggy socks after a 10 mile run. Not a bad scientific government experiment gone wrong bad, just...black currant nasty bad. I put it in the fridge and stopped fermentation at 1.004, down from 1.088. Needs more sugar, lots more sugar, or you need to start drinking it when you're already smashed. I'll never use black currant again...LOL

wassail_MT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2015
I used black currants a few years back in a 3 gallon batch, and was also disappointed with the results. Too bad b/c they grow in most the alleyways around here.

To minimize my loss, i threw in a SCOBY from a kombucha, and added a little live cider vinegar. After another few months, it was turned into a really nice aromatic vinegar. Not that you shouldn't get your drink on....but options!

Anymore with currants, I use them a few cups at a time, and "mash" them for a few days with pectic enzyme. Would be interesting to try Lavlin 72B ....thanks Medsen Fey for the tip

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns