PDA

View Full Version : Braggot question

McJeff
01-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Will the type of honey flavor come thru? Was thinking of using orange blossom. as I type this question I assume the type of malt will matter, anyone recommend a light malt to let the honey come thru better?

Medsen Fey
01-23-2015, 10:59 PM
It depends on the style you want to make, but yes, a lighter malt will let more honey character show. In addition, using more honey obviously makes an impact, and you can even add it after the wort has cooled, if you dare, to preserve the aromatics as much as possible. Huge hop bills will tend to obscure the honey. Perhaps the most important thing is age. The honey will really show itself more after 6-12 months of aging, which is something brewers often don't allow.

What kind of recipe were you contemplating?

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

McJeff
01-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Ive no idea what style this will end up being. I do have my head set on using orange blossom honey and the lightest malt i can find prob 50/50 ratio. Ill most likely order this unless someones scream "NO" at me :P
http://www.morebeer.com/products/pilsner-malt-extract-syrup.html

I not really nailed down a recipe yet beyond the 50/50 honey and malt. Will prob keep it simple and some centennial at a low bitterness so the honey can still come thru. i know i want to hit at least 10-12%(Nottingham yeast?) abv so i can age it, hopefully it will be semi sweet 1.010+ a bit.

keeping it simple and ill tweak it on the second batch.

loveofrose
01-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Centennial is overkill I think. I would suggest Citra hops because it compliments OB very well. Keep the IBU in the 10-15 range to avoid overpowering the honey nose.

Nottingham, US05, and Wyeast 1388 are all great for braggots and will easily hit 10-12%.

Better brewing through science!

McJeff
01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Centennial is overkill I think. I would suggest Citra hops because it compliments OB very well. Keep the IBU in the 10-15 range to avoid overpowering the honey nose.

Nottingham, US05, and Wyeast 1388 are all great for braggots and will easily hit 10-12%.

spot on! thats why im asking! Dont know why but i was avoiding citrus hops because i didnt want people to confuse the flavor of the hops and the honey. Does that make sense or am i just over thinking it?

loveofrose
01-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Actually, if you put hops in at all, then the goal is for the two to marry equally into something greater than each part.

McJeff
01-24-2015, 12:06 PM
well i cant make brew a beer and not add hops ;)

McJeff
01-24-2015, 12:08 PM
this is the list im looking at...

https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/?aroma=Citrus

Medsen Fey
01-24-2015, 01:30 PM
My approach is to go a little to the high side on the hops because they will fade with aging as the honey becomes more prominent over a year or more. During that time the character of the brew shifts but it can be enjoyable all along the way.

McJeff
01-24-2015, 01:35 PM
will it continue to fade till completely gone or is there like a bare min point where there will still be some hops left?

Medsen Fey
01-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't know for sure how long hops can stay, but even in a simple beer-strength braggot like my "beyond the pale" recipe, the hop character was still there after 2.5 years. In some barley wines the hops last for more than a decade. So although there might be a point where hops fade completely, it seems like it would take a very long time.

McJeff
01-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Good good

So basic concept of the braggot ok?

Medsen Fey
01-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Yep. Good stuff.

McJeff
01-25-2015, 11:20 AM
So ive decided on using US 05 for the "cleaner" less eastery finish. How are the nutrient requirements on beer yeasts? I have Dap, ferm K on hand. Can you do the staggered addition like i would with a mead?

loveofrose
01-25-2015, 03:36 PM
I generally front load braggots because oxidation is a major concern with hops. I assume ale yeasts are nutrient hogs to be safe.

Medsen Fey
01-25-2015, 07:02 PM
I only do SNA with a braggot if it is barley-wine style with a starting gravity above 1.090.

smertz001
01-26-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm a little tardy to the party, but yes, the honey does come through. I've done a chocolate ale braggot with huajilla honey, and after 6-8 months the honey was definitely coming through, and the hops I used balance out the sweet nicely so it's not cloying.

I haven't done any SNA, with my braggots outside of using White Labs Servomyces. Even though they usually are 1.100 or more (My rye/barley wine has a theoretical 1.210 [I couldn't measure it since my equipment doesn't go that high and didn't think to put 50% of water into it to dilute it and do math on it.])

For yeast, I typically use Lalvin D254.

Cheers!

McJeff
02-12-2015, 02:25 PM
one more question!

When boiling the liquid malt does it matter how much water i add to it? obviously i dont want so much water as to lower the gravity of the final product. but is there some magic rule of thumb to go by?

edit: only have 3lbs of LME to boil and was goin to add 3 lbs of honey when it cooled then adjust the water till the starting gravity was where i wanted it.

smertz001
02-13-2015, 08:03 AM
I would start a boil at 9% more than you want to end at. That 9% is a "typical" boil off rate number used in calculating how much to boil when brewing beer. But to really know that number, you need to do tests at boiling yourself at your altitude and with your equipment.

What's your recipe looking like? How much do you want to make? What gravity? A bit more info and we can definitely help you hash out all the little details like this.

Cheers!
-- Steve

McJeff
02-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Well like most things i do i was just kinda winging it. I bought 3 lbs of dark stout liquid malt, 5lbs of buckwheat honey, US 05 and 1oz Magnum pellet hops.
http://www.morebeer.com/products/porter-stout-dark-malt-extract-syrup.html

I was goin to boil the 3lbs of malt with 1gallon(or a bit more) of spring water and the 1oz of hops for 1 hour. After the hour was up cold bath in the sink to cool it down and add 3lbs of the buckwheat honey and more spring water till i get a starting gravity of ~1.100-1.105 ish. rehydrate the US 05 yeast and let it run its course to 12% abv and backsweeten with the rest of the buckwheat honey.

smertz001
02-13-2015, 10:51 AM
My thoughts with 3# of malt and honey, you will want to have about 2 gallons total for it to be around the 1.105 range. I would boil with 2 gallons of water, then that will take it down enough for the 3 pounds of honey.

Cheers!
-- Steve

McJeff
02-13-2015, 11:32 AM
thats what i was also figuring for a total volume. So 2 gallons of water wont be too much? screw it ill trust you ;)

McJeff
02-16-2015, 10:04 AM
US 05 is a real foamer

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/yeoson/38759e69d13d25de921e67c90fb094d4_zps37f78970.jpg

McJeff
03-10-2015, 11:00 AM
so @smertz001, coming up to that time to rack this bad boy. Age and clear in glass carboys or go directly to a corny and carb it? How easily will this oxidize?

Medsen Fey
03-10-2015, 05:51 PM
I age age and clear in a keg then transfer to another keg and carbonate. Having hops means it will be sensitive to oxidation and you should protect it like you would beer.

EJM3
03-10-2015, 10:25 PM
+1 on keeping it from light: I made a cider that I decided to dry hop, but I did NOT protect it from light, so within a few weeks (3 to 4) it turned skunky. I now have a 6 gallon batch of braggot (7 LBS LME, 4 LBS honey, +specialty grains) that is finishing fermenting and is getting close to racking. I have kept the fermentor completely covered with black fabric since it was tossed into the fermentor.

smertz001
03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Yes, because of the hops in it, definitely keep it out of the light!

On my 5 and 6.5 gallon carboy I use these guys: http://www.carboy.net/

They cover them nicely and make it much easier to move around with the built in handles.

I've not had any oxidization issues with mine so far. I've bottled two and are drinking them nicely at a year old. And then I have my Rye/Barley Wine Braggot that's still aging in secondary since... July or August? And it's tasting good, with no oxidization on it. Just treat it like beer and you won't have any problems. Keeping head space to a minimal and don't splash it around whilst racking.

Cheers!
-- Steve

McJeff
03-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Gah! I only have green glass jugs. Guess I could hide them under a towel.

EJM3
03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
I have some fabric scraps (from when I made blackout curtains), an old bath robe, and a T-shirt, all black, covering each of 3 glass carboys right now. Work with what you have, towels, blankets, sweaters, jackets, etc... They all work, just might not be as pretty as the the store bought ones...

McJeff
05-07-2015, 02:39 PM
So my braggot has been aging/clearing in a carboy for some time now and im rdy to move it to a keg. Are there any advantages in running it thru a filter? or will most likely aerate it too much?

edblanford
05-07-2015, 05:54 PM
I agree that anything handy will do and did that for years, but the carboy covers smertz001 mentioned are great! I now have them for all of my carboys and love them. I understand that all may not be able to/want to afford them, but they are a clean, easy, functional alternative to make do things. When I finish the Taj Mahal and have it set up, I will provide pictures of them in action.

Ed

werewolf2278
07-21-2015, 04:16 PM
I used six pounds of pilsner liquid malt to nine pounds honey with, one oz of nugget hops, lavin d-47 yeast.Made lovey braggot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk