PDA

View Full Version : My first gusher

norfair86
01-26-2015, 01:32 AM
So I bottled a cyser last October, and I had three bottles of it left that I stupidly put in my closet. Apparently it wasn't quite finished fermenting, and one of the bottles blew it's cork and sprayed mead all over the closet. At least I got to try it and see how it's progressing though! It tasted better than it did in November, albeit about 110% more carbonated lol
I'm worried the other two will do the same, so I carefully put them in the fridge, hoping for a cold crash type situation. Would it be advisable to carefully pop the corks and let them degas, then re-cork them?

[witty signature]

Squatchy
01-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Yes. Unless you want to have the other bottles do the same. They will probably gush all over even after cold crashing them.

EJM3
01-26-2015, 09:41 PM
The cold will make the CO2 go into solution so that when you open it cold it will not outgas and will in fact absorb more oxygen while cold. Think of a warm beer, open it and it gushes, chill it properly and it's fine. I am not sure what else you can do as I am mostly making dry mead and mels so have not had a carbing problem like that...