• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Apple question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Masbustelo

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
Hello to everyone on this forum. I have tried searching previous threads, but haven't found what I am looking for. This is my question... Can I core and shred apples, adjust for specific gravity, ferment down to say 1.040 and then press the pulp? Is there any reason that you have to press prior to the ferment? Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Why would you core them? What specific gravity are you wanting to start at as apples range themselves from 1.040 to 1.060 so that is not much of a range, why would you stop at 1.040 and press? What is your purpose for this? Some people think that you can get more tannins from the skins doing this while others think that the tannins get bound up by something released from the skins and actually decreases the tannins. Read some of the crabapple threads, some of those guys so it they way you are describing but I think at the end stage of fermenting is more straining then pressing as the pulp gets chewed up. It seems to be much harder getting things out of apple skins than grape skins. We have a wild apple on our farm that bleeds red color under the skin, hoping to get a little red color from a sweet apple instead of getting red color from crazy high acid apples. WVMJ

Masbustelo

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2014
I thought by coring I could remove possible bitterness from the seeds. I suppose a beginning OG of 1.100. I was also thinking that the apples would press easier after a few days fermenting.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you don't have a press, if you core apples and then freeze/thaw, you can get a very nice yield of juice. Otherwise, my approach is to press then ferment. If you want to try to pick up more tannins, you can add some pulp/peel and see if that gets you where you want to be.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I don't know that you have to, but that's what Luc Volders described in his experiments on his blog. Most info you get on freezing apples says peel and core them, but they are mostly expecting folks to be cooking with them, not juicing them later. Coring is probably not necessary.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
When they make ice cider, one way it to freeze the whole apple and press them when they partially thawed. I dont think they are to worried about the cores or seeds. WVMJ

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns