• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help with JAOM fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Diadaga

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
So a few days ago I started a batch of JAOM and courtesy of living in the boonies and Amazon sending me the wrong thing I had to make a deviation from the recipe. I had ordered Fleishmann's yeast from Amazon but instead they sent me Red Star bread machine yeast. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot and see how things went. This is the only deviation I made from the recipe as listed in the JAOM thread. So far I've had some activity to let me know something is going on but nothing that could be considered vigorous activity. Roughly 1 bubble per second in the airlock and maybe 3cm of foam for the first day. Jug has been kept in a pot wrapped in towels in the closet avoiding light, I haven't shaken it around or anything since I placed it into the darkness.

Any help is appreciated guys/gals.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
The Red Star will work and it sounds like it's working.

What is the temperature where it's at? Bread yeast like it a little on the warm side (75-80F), so it may not be as vigorous as you were thinking, if it's a bit on the cooler side.

-- Steve

Diadaga

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
The house stays around 70F I put a small heater space heater (forgot to mention that) to raise the temp in the closet some. I was expecting some craziness going on since they had said vigorous foaming. Thanks for the input though.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
I've done several JAOM, and some of them can get quite excited and others just putt putt a long. So, I wouldn't worry about it, definitely sounds like you are on the right track currently.
-- Steve

Diadaga

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2015
Awesome, thanks for the input guys I'll just leave it in it's corner and let it plug away then.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns