PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Yeasts... mixing beasties

Sleepy
01-28-2015, 06:06 PM
So, I've done some reading on beer forums regarding the mixing of yeasts to create more complex flavors. I know this also occurs when you add a second yeast strain in order to kick start a stuck fermentation. So, my questions are... has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any recommendations for yeasts that mix well in mead? Has anyone had success mixing beer and wine yeasts? Inquiring minds want to know...

Medsen Fey
01-28-2015, 09:55 PM
There are a couple of threads discussing this. Akueck had one in particular. The problem comes with unpredictable outcomes. With beer, you might have to tolerate it, but with wines and meads, you can exert much more control over the outcome if you ferment two separate batches and make a blend after they have cleared and declared themselves. This is an area of mead crafting that could use a lot more exploration.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Sleepy
01-29-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks Medsen - somehow I figured you'd have something to say. I'd done a look for threads on the subject, and used the search function, but didn't have any luck. I'll be sure to look for Akueck when I get some time later. The way I see it is, you can go at this in different ways: 1) mixing yeasts during primary, 2) mixing in a new strain at secondary, 3) mixing two batches to have secondary together, or 4) blending at the end as you suggested. Your option is certainly less risky. I'll look for the Akueck thread, but if anyone has had experience (good or bad) with the four methods I've described, please do tell!

Medsen Fey
01-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Option 2 will not work well. Adding new yeast into a high ABV, low pH mead is going to stun the new yeast into submission most of the time. You'll only have a chance for success with a few restart yeasts, and even with them it is dicey.

ostensibly
01-29-2015, 09:54 AM
One of Oskaarz' recipes - here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/8913-Recipe-Oskaarz-Dry-Mead) - mixes two musts with different strains in secondary, R2 and CY307.

Khan
01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Actually, I keep a bottle of "House Mead" in a decanter on my little wine cabinet in the living-room. I started it as a blend of a few bottles of Melomels that were getting low (very tasty!); now when it gets low (about 1/5 liter), I open another bottle and keep the tradition going. I refrain from adding capsicumels, as I am the only one who consumes those in my home, but any other fruit or spiced mead usually blends in quite nicely.

theDREWery
01-30-2015, 08:48 AM
I have one batch ready to bottle at this point from a two stage ferment with Nottingham followed by K1-V1116. A good mead but not a terribly successful experiment. I figured an ale yeast would kick out some nice fruity esters until it pooped out at ~10%, which it did. I added the K1 after to dry out the last 5%, which it also did. But now it tastes like a mead made with just K1.
I'm thinking that the K1, as a "killer" yeast may have cleaned up the esters, much like lager yeasts clean up diacetyl at warmer temps in preparation for hibernation. I know a lot of mixed culture ferments, like kombucha and yogurt, the bacteria weave a matrix around yeast cells to keep them in place and potentially slow reproduction. I'm curious if the killer action of yeasts is similar, clinging to foreign bodies and feeding off their waste.
Just theorizing, but if you plan on doing a mixed ferment, just make sure the yeasts play well together. I agree with Medsen about separate ferments and blending, much easier.

theDREWery
01-30-2015, 08:51 AM
...kombucha and yogurt, the bacteria weave a matrix around yeast cells...

Correction: kombucha is acetobacteria and yeast, yogurt is lactobacillus and peddiococcus, IIRC

Medsen Fey
01-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Nottingham can get to 14% and I don't find it all that estery in meads.

Sleepy
01-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Option 2 will not work well. Adding new yeast into a high ABV, low pH mead is going to stun the new yeast into submission most of the time. You'll only have a chance for success with a few restart yeasts, and even with them it is dicey.

My thought was to add a low ABV mead (in this case a cranberry melomel using Wyeast 1450) I'm anticipating will finished too sweet to a larger, high ABV batch (likely using Red Star Pasteur Champagne) - the goals would be to add the fruit hint, mix into a beerywine flavor, and let the higher ABV yeast work a little more on the remaining sugars. Buuut... from what theDREWery said, I may run the risk of the Red Star "eating" the beeriness. I suppose a yeast of similar tolerance (like WLP720) may work better... in any case, a lot af variables to consider. If I ever find something that works, I'll be sure to share.

Sleepy
01-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Actually, I keep a bottle of "House Mead" in a decanter on my little wine cabinet in the living-room. I started it as a blend of a few bottles of Melomels that were getting low (very tasty!); now when it gets low (about 1/5 liter), I open another bottle and keep the tradition going. I refrain from adding capsicumels, as I am the only one who consumes those in my home, but any other fruit or spiced mead usually blends in quite nicely.

Khan, this is a great idea - come to think of it, I've been doing the same wit rum for years, starting with a heavily spiced bottle of BVI Cane Garden Bay rum I got on my honeymoon many moons ago. Why not mead too... when I get more batches ready to bottle (being a newbee and all). Thanks!

Sleepy
01-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Awesome input. I'll investigate!

Sleepy
01-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Ostensibly,

"One of Oskaarz' recipes - here - mixes two musts with different strains in secondary, R2 and CY307."

Oops, I guess I can't get behind that forum curtain... must be Patrons only. I got the eHand in the face when trying the link. Bummer.