PDA

View Full Version : newbie fermentation question

tgrantjr5757
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
I have a one gallon jug of mead that has been in the fermenter for one month. I noticed that it is now clearing up and on a lot of lees. I did rack it once already to get the fruit and such out. It seems it is now sitting on a lot of lees and clearing with only a bubble every few minutes if that. When would be a good time to put into bottles?

my recipe is simple
3 pounds raw honey
20 rasins
winemakers yeast and water

Edit: make that one bubble every minute. I timed it

PitBull
02-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Hydrometer readings are the only reliable way to determine how well the fermentation is progressing. pH reading are also a big help.

Medsen Fey
02-08-2015, 01:15 PM
If it still bubbles it is definitely not ready to bottle, but even when it stops you need a hydrometer to be sure.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

tgrantjr5757
02-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I took a reading and the whole meter sunk. I do not think there is any more alcohol to be gained. Should i add my bentonite to finish clearing it up before i bottle it?

Medsen Fey
02-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Were you able to read a number? The key is to make sure it doesn't go any lower before you bottle.

JDWebb
02-08-2015, 09:51 PM
The whole meter sunk? I want some of that...save me a bottle!

PitBull
02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Make sure that you stabilize before bottling. There are MANY cases where home brewers thought they were bottling completely dry mead/wine, only to see fermentation restart in the bottle. Result: Bottle bombs, requiring the ones that did not explode to be uncorked, stabilized and re-bottled. That's a lot of added work, and danger, for the few minutes needed to stabilize the first time.

tgrantjr5757
02-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I was thinking after letting it settle for a while before bottling. I have lost quite a bit from not knowing what im doing. Before i degas with a vac pump. Should i fill the bottom with sanitized glass marbles so my gallon jug is not under a huge amount of stress?

Medsen Fey
02-17-2015, 09:59 PM
You shouldn't have any problems with a vacuum pump and don't need marbles. Of course, if you wait for a time, you don't need a vacuum pump either.