PDA

View Full Version : Racking and Sanitizing advice?

BlueBomber
02-09-2015, 10:29 AM
I've heard a lot of people use cheesecloth when they rack to help reduce the amount of sediment that is siphoned out. I was wondering what the best way to do that is? I have an auto siphon and was thinking of just cutting a small piece of the cloth and using an elastic band to hold it on...is that way too crude? Obviously I would sanitize both the best I could, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

bmwr75
02-09-2015, 05:10 PM
I have used just the auto siphon every time I've racked (except once) with good success. The one other time I was racking JOAM off the fruit and yeast cake and did just as you suggested, covered the end of the siphon with some cheese cloth held in place by a rubber band, this worked out well for me.

valverij
02-09-2015, 06:04 PM
I've done this a couple of times. I just boiled a square of cheesecloth and a rubber band for about 20 minutes, wrapped it around the end of the siphon, and racked. I boiled it because I didn't want the cheesecloth to absorb a ton of extra sanitizer that could get into my mead. I'm not really sure if it would make a difference, though.

BlueBomber
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies! Boiling, that's genius!

EJM3
02-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Boiling is a bit of a pain, so I usually sterilize everything I can with vodka, it is flammable as Medsen has pointed out, but has the advantage of being neutral, while killing on contact any nasties. 20% alcohol will do the job so 40% alcohol vodka will definitely do it. IME YMMV

Medsen Fey
02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
150 proof is the equivalent of hand sanitizer. ;)

If you just rack above the sediment, you usually don't need cheesecloth or anything else.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

EJM3
02-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, THAT kind of vodka, like Everclear. That'll fire up quick alrighty! And erode your liver in one fell gulp too!!!