PDA

View Full Version : Tart Cherry Cyser BOMM

skookum
02-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Greetings:

I would like a little advice on the amount of tart cherry (Montmorency) juice to add for this cyser. I am borrowing from the Cyser BOMM recipe and plan to follow the BOMM protocol.

6 Gallon Batch

4.0 gallons Fresh Market Apple Cider
1.0 gallons Tart Cherry Juice (don't remember the brand but it is 100% Tart Cherry juice from concentrate)
6.0 lbs. Orange Blossom or Jamaican Dogwood Honey
10 oz. dates
1.5 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
Fermaid K and DAP according to protocol
Water to 6 gallons
SG +/- 1.080

Questions:

1. Is that too much Tart Cherry Juice? Would 1/2 gallon be more appropriate?
2. I would like to backsweeten after fermentation, clearing, and stabilizing; what would be a good target FG?

As always, any advice is welcome.

Medsen Fey
02-09-2015, 10:25 PM
If you don't mind sweetening it enough to balance, a gallon would work. If you want it dry more than a quart may be too much.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Crowing
02-10-2015, 09:39 PM
My first ever mead is a tart cherry cyser. It's still aging (pitched on 11/9/2014) but I used quite a small amount of cherry juice. After next racking I can tell you how it is but I haven't tasted it yet.

skookum
02-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Medsen thanks, I definitely want to backsweeten but not sure how sweet yet.

Crowing thanks, I look forward to hearing what how yours turns out (enough/too much cherry flavor). I think I will start a 1 gallon BOMM in the mean time.

Squatchy
02-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Hey Skookum

If your only going to add 1 gallon of juice I would suggest adding it after you sorbat/sulfite. I don't know how much presence you want from the Cherries.That littile in primary will most likely get lost in the mix. You could add some dried cherries in primary to lay a base and add some complexity. Just a thought :)