PDA

View Full Version : Advice on recipe for a noob

Clwurster
02-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I've got 2 batches under my belt. First one I winged it with blueberries & white grapes, used my brother-in-laws honey from his hives (fall wildflowers) and D-47. Fermented in my river rock cellar that is a constant 60 degrees. As luck would have it-it tastes great. So I did a second batch same as the first:) Only have a 2 gallon bucket & 1 Gallon carboys so just warming up to this hobby. Anyhow would like input on this mix as everything seems to be 5 gallon recipes & calls for pounds of fruit and/or juice combos so not sure amounts to use. Going for little over 1 gallon to start so I can rack full gallon. So: 6.75 cups honey (wildflower), 2.75 cups black currant juice, 3 cups tart cherry juice & 6-7 cups water. Gonna use the D-47 cause that's what I got & worked twice so far. Approx starting OG 1.15. Like mine a little on the sweet side. All advice appreciated-thanks

Medsen Fey
02-16-2015, 09:24 PM
That is a very high starting gravity. You might want to consider starting at a less-stressful level, perhaps 1.125 or so, letting it ferment to completion. Then you can add more honey.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT