PDA

View Full Version : Mini-mead gift set

JDWebb
02-20-2015, 01:17 AM
So I was thinking.
Damn that hurt.

So I was thinking of sending my sister a mini-JAOM mead kit. It would consist of;

1/2 gallon mason jar filled with 1 orange, a package of Fleischmann's, a small box of raisins, an airlock, a pint of honey (or the scaled appropriate amount), 24" of 3/16 food grade plastic hose for racking and fitted with a plastic lid with a 7/16 drilled hole for the airlock and instructions.

Welshie
02-20-2015, 10:41 AM
You might be able to sell those or better yet give them away to people that are on the fence about whether they want to start home brewing or not!!:D

JDWebb
02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeah, was thinking about that. All wrapped up in a pretty box, maybe throw in a couple wine bottles and corks!

Shelley
02-21-2015, 08:42 AM
You don't need JAOM for a starter kit. Just give her the bare essentials with real mead yeast, and good instructions, and she won't need to worry about the orange spoiling. If you're looking for a selling model for a 1/2 gallon kit, there's a mead kit on etsy that's beat you to it.

But use EZ-cap bottles; then she won't need any special bottling equipment.

JDWebb
02-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Well thanks for all the ideas, but I'm retired, not looking to go back to work! I'm thinking it might be a unique gift for someone who might be interested is all. Besides, I also like the JAOM idea, its an established method and recipe that works well for a first timer. But I do get what you're saying and what is etsy??

Shelley
02-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Any gift assembled with thoughtful affection is a great gift.

Etsy is kind of like Amazon for home crafters. A great outlet for finding handmade things of all shapes and sizes; jewelry, small batch kits, embroidery patterns to download for machines, soaps, you name it. Etsy.com is the url.

Chevette Girl
02-23-2015, 01:41 PM
You don't need JAOM for a starter kit. Just give her the bare essentials with real mead yeast, and good instructions, and she won't need to worry about the orange spoiling. If you're looking for a selling model for a 1/2 gallon kit, there's a mead kit on etsy that's beat you to it.

But use EZ-cap bottles; then she won't need any special bottling equipment.

I did this for my brother in-law one year for Xmas, the measured amount of honey, the plastic water jugs I've used myself, a baggie of yeast and spices, and instructions to add 1 orange. The EZ cap bottles are a great idea though, maybe if I'd done that, he might have actually used the kit! (he did end up making mead some time later for his wedding)

mannye
02-23-2015, 08:03 PM
i did the same thing for a friend of mine.. works great... put a bottle of honey and yeast in a little bag, he dry ingredients (cinnamon, clove, raisins) already in the carboy and mark the carboy to the level of must. the instructions are simple... add all the honey, add the oranges addl the water to the pre-drawn line then put the top on (which you included right???) shake the hell out of it, uncover, add the yeast, shake the hell out of it again then place the airlock (which you provided right?) on top and put it away in a dark and lonely place for 100 days.