PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation containers

JDWebb
02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
I have several large food grade containers that I get from a restaurant supply store I typically store sugar, flour, etc. They are nice because they have good lids and graduated marks on the sides. I'll have to test one to see if it's air tight, however, I don't think they are. I have heard of people using them to ferment in then transfer to a glass carboy. Does anyone have an issue with this?

I have also heard that air tight during fermentation isn't all the critical anyway, and some people actually leave lids off so oxygen can be used to help yeast colonization.

There seems to be two schools of thought regarding plastic containers, I can't see the issue because many of us ferment in buckets. Better Bottle, and other manufactures make plastic food grade containers, and I wonder if there is any scientific data that says you can't use them for long term storage/aging?

TXMeadGuy
02-21-2015, 06:24 PM
From my understanding, airtight during primary fermentation isn't a major necessity. I wouldn't do any long term storage, nor any secondary in them, though. Just my two cents. :)

David

McJeff
02-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Free is always king. Just want to make sure there is no residual smell taste from what ever they were used for. Before. Airtight isn't a game changer for the primary. Make sure they are in perfect shape, look for any slight scratches on the inside that could harbor bacteria.

edblanford
02-21-2015, 07:14 PM
All plastic, to varying degrees is air permeable so plastic is not suited well for long term aging or storage. Long term is best left for glass and/or stainless sealable containers (e.g. Corny kegs). I do not finitely know when short term becomes long term, but would guess plastic is fine for several months (possibly as much as 6 months?) but glass or sealed stainless should be used after that. More knowledgable members may well chime in on this. Personally, I have not used plastic for longer that 2 months before transferring to glass or kegs.

Medsen Fey
02-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Food grade containers make great primary fermenters. PET plastic containers like Better Bottles allow long aging.

There are examples where people have aged meads in a plastic bucket. See this ancient thread for more details - http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12552

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

JDWebb
02-21-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah, that one I ain't got access to ..yet..

dave.hemi6357
02-21-2015, 10:48 PM
I use 4 gallon jugs from water dispenser for primary only one time usage