PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation stopping and things

Diserasta
02-23-2015, 03:46 AM
So I started up an experiment with a Tea Metheglin (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/24296-Tea-Metheglin) the other day and the airlock stopped bubbling today. Upon checking, the SG is 1.014, and it still fizzes lightly when stirred. Now, from my calculations, that should mean fermentation is nearly over. My question is thus. How long should I wait before tasting it? (I assume it currently tastes about as bad as it smells, which is like spoiled ale). Now the brew doesn't smell *off* to me, it's just the smells of fermentation.

Additionally, from what I've read, I should be racking soon. Is that correct? And if not, should I be adding more sugar or DAP at all? (In other words, have I stalled).

On a more flavour side note, what could I add to offset the presumably very spicy and or dry flavour I'm going to get here?
Finally, I'm considering racking onto some Hungarian Oak cubes. Would that be overkill?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for spamming questions. I'm awfully new to this.

McJeff
02-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Can you post the exact recipe you used

Diserasta
02-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Sure :)
2.5 litres water
5Tbsp Russian Caravan Tea
Let steep for 10 minutes
Strain off tea leaves
Add (1kg) honey & mix well
I'm using EC-1118 as the yeast, and added 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (I'm out of pure DAP) at pitching, and 1/2 tsp at day three.
I've been aerating every 18 hours or so for the first three days. No airlock activity day four. Which brings me to here.

Medsen Fey
02-23-2015, 10:02 PM
It isn't done yet. You can taste it anytime, but with EC-1118 it is going to be bitter and yeasty until it is clear and ages for some months. The tea should be prominent, but as the yeast bind tannins it shouldn't be overly astringent.

It is going to go dry and finish at or below 1.000 so don't be in a rush to rack it.

What temp are you keeping?

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Diserasta
02-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Uh, 24ish (Centigrade), so that's about 75F (if my math holds). It's still pretty much summer here so keeping the indoors cool is hard enough.
That's probably affecting the fermentation eh?

Medsen Fey
02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Yep. Read up on swamp coolers. At 75F EC-1118 produces some mean wine.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Diserasta
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Yeah. I need one of those. I'll add it to the list.

And by 'mean', I take it you mean (ha) full of fusels and nasties?