PDA

View Full Version : Storage in swing top bottles

Markmp
03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
First post! I have several 1 liter and 500 ml swing top bottles. I'm wondering if these bottles should be put on their side for mid to long term storage of mead?

Thanks

curgoth
03-02-2015, 04:41 PM
I'm no expert, but the reason you lay wine bottles on their side is to keep the cork wet so it doesn't dry and crumble. So if you're not using cork, especially if there's a chance of sediment, leave 'em upright so the sediment settles at the bottom of the bottle.

Medsen Fey
03-02-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm no expert...

You're sure starting to sound like one. :)

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

skunkboy
03-02-2015, 10:39 PM
They are not the best option for med to long term storage, corks or capped beer bottles would work better.

WVMJack
03-03-2015, 03:37 AM
We have some of those, we use them more for like we are going to taste these first plus the wife thinks they look cool so any batch I put in them tastes better! The hip flask style are also fun to play with, we but some Bochet in them so they look like whiskey. We also ordered extra gaskets for them. I see your point about wanting to keep the gasket wet but I dont think that is an issue with rubber gaskets just corks. WVMJ

mannye
03-03-2015, 09:46 AM
When I started I used them because I had a bunch left over from beer brewing, but since I've moved to 750ml champagne with crown caps. These days if you do a little searching you can easily find champagne style beer bottles (750 size) that use the standard crown cap rather than the larger European version used for actual champagne, in case you happen to have a large supply of standard beer crowns.

But to answer your question (again) no... you don't have to put them on their sides. And I will also chime in with "no long term storage" if possible. Although When I want a quick way to transport a large sample from a 5 gallon carboy there's nothing better than a flip top! Just siphon a sample, flip the top and off you go.

Markmp
03-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. Mannye and Skunkboy, can you please expand on why swing top bottles are not best for storage? Are the seals not completely airtight?

Also, FYI I doubt that I will be storing my mead for longer than a year at this point.

Thanks.

Medsen Fey
03-03-2015, 11:57 AM
If you aren't aging your mead longer than a year, you aren't experiencing their full glory.

I have ciders I've aged as much as 3 years in flip tops. So you might not want to use them to age for decades, but they are certainly serviceable for intermediate term use.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

WVMJack
03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I would have to hide a cider in a fliptop to get it aged 3 years! Maybe I can loose one in the dark of the bottom racks. WVMJ

mannye
03-03-2015, 11:19 PM
I am getting better. I now make enough to put away at least 6 bottles from every batch. Eventually you make enough that you are not out of mead while the "not ready yet" bottles are staring you in the face. BOMM has helped!